April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Ok I need opinions. What would you do - 5/6 eggs that entered lockdown have hatched. I was 99.9% sure the egg that hasn’t hatched was dead at lockdown, but last night it was wiggling all over the place! I tried Candling but it’s a very dark Marans egg with a horrible air cell that goes down the sides of the egg and is so wonky that I can’t even tell if there is an internal pip or movement. No more wiggling.
If it’s DIS I’d love to clean my incubator and set eggs that I have waiting but I don’t want to be too hasty. I’m hesistant to assist after having to cull 2 assisted chicks in the last 24 hours but I am dying to know what’s going on in that egg. Should I make a safety hole and wait until morning? Should I do nothing and leave it overnight? Should I make a viewing hole and do another potential assist? It’s day 21 so still early yet all the others are out. I’m learning I’m really bad at sitting on my hands. I know only I can make this decision but I’d love to hear what you would do.
If it were me, I'd probably wait and make a viewing hole tomorrow if there hasn't been any progress.

That sounds rational. I am going to sit on my hands. Why is that so hard for me?!
I would wait too if it were me. It might just be taking it's time. I had that happen under my broody. She actually left the nest and the baby was shrink wrapped (but it was also 2-3 days later) and I was able to get it out and it lived and became a healthy little silkie boy!

Ok I need opinions. What would you do - 5/6 eggs that entered lockdown have hatched. I was 99.9% sure the egg that hasn’t hatched was dead at lockdown, but last night it was wiggling all over the place! I tried Candling but it’s a very dark Marans egg with a horrible air cell that goes down the sides of the egg and is so wonky that I can’t even tell if there is an internal pip or movement. No more wiggling.
If it’s DIS I’d love to clean my incubator and set eggs that I have waiting but I don’t want to be too hasty. I’m hesistant to assist after having to cull 2 assisted chicks in the last 24 hours but I am dying to know what’s going on in that egg. Should I make a safety hole and wait until morning? Should I do nothing and leave it overnight? Should I make a viewing hole and do another potential assist? It’s day 21 so still early yet all the others are out. I’m learning I’m really bad at sitting on my hands. I know only I can make this decision but I’d love to hear what you would do.

I'm going to be that one...lol. Whatever YOU are comfortable with, is what you should do. If it were me, with the description of the air cell I would immediately think that particular late baby is last because of the air cell and not being able to turn properly. Now, with that said I've had plenty of saddled are cell chicks hatch with zero assistance. If you decide to open the air cell to see what's going on and apply some ointment to the membrane that doesn't actually prevent the chick from being able to finish hatching on it's own. My personal gauge for when to open an air cell is once I'm down to stragglers and no other actively hatching chicks. Sometimes that's the end of day 21 and sometimes it's day 22. Lol, That's probably not much help but you already know I'm not the type to sit on my hands.

Back
Top Bottom