April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
While I’m impatiently waiting to check the status of my 9 faverolles under my broody [DAY3 psycho broody], I have 10 set to hatch next week!
3 silver laced polish
3 surprise polish (possible frizzle)
1 Mille fleur/polishXsilver Phoenix (so excited to see this mixture 😂)
3 silkies (2 paint and 1 white)

My new Brinsea is doing a much better job of holding humidity than my old incubator so I’m holding out hope that this hatch will be great! Grabbed it locally from someone secondhand, and it was never used. It was a STEAL! Thinking happy thoughts and wishing for no futher complications for ALL of us!

also here’s a photo of our buff silkie, lady Gaga, and my little moosh today 😂

Attachments

• 936EDDC9-C1FB-4C2C-8664-86E2193E9FA0.jpeg
    936EDDC9-C1FB-4C2C-8664-86E2193E9FA0.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 3
I'm going to be that one...lol. Whatever YOU are comfortable with, is what you should do. If it were me, with the description of the air cell I would immediately think that particular late baby is last because of the air cell and not being able to turn properly. Now, with that said I've had plenty of saddled are cell chicks hatch with zero assistance. If you decide to open the air cell to see what's going on and apply some ointment to the membrane that doesn't actually prevent the chick from being able to finish hatching on it's own. My personal gauge for when to open an air cell is once I'm down to stragglers and no other actively hatching chicks. Sometimes that's the end of day 21 and sometimes it's day 22. Lol, That's probably not much help but you already know I'm not the type to sit on my hands.
My favorite incubation enabler 🤗

I'm going to be that one...lol. Whatever YOU are comfortable with, is what you should do. If it were me, with the description of the air cell I would immediately think that particular late baby is last because of the air cell and not being able to turn properly. Now, with that said I've had plenty of saddled are cell chicks hatch with zero assistance. If you decide to open the air cell to see what's going on and apply some ointment to the membrane that doesn't actually prevent the chick from being able to finish hatching on it's own. My personal gauge for when to open an air cell is once I'm down to stragglers and no other actively hatching chicks. Sometimes that's the end of day 21 and sometimes it's day 22. Lol, That's probably not much help but you already know I'm not the type to sit on my hands.

See I was thinking that too - maybe the awful air cell is making it hard to turn. I am just kind of worried about it since the egg was wiggling more than I’ve ever seen an egg wiggle last night. I thought for sure it would be hatched when I woke up this morning...
So they can still hatch on their own with a viewing window opened up? I’ve yet to have one pip and zip after I’ve opened the top so I didn’t realize that.

Well I candled my duck eggs this evening and I have internal pips. They're day 22 :eek: I was chilling/spraying and turning them today. I did notice they seemed slightly advanced in comparison to the Metzer Farms chart. I know ducks take their time to actually hatch. Hopefully they'll take as much extra time as they need.

My incubator is definitely running about a degree too hot. I'll make a note for future hatches but hopefully these little guys aren't bother by the possibility of an early hatch.

RIP little fella. I opened the egg because I’m way too impatient apparently and he had passed. His little beak was pressing up into the air cell like he had tried to internally pip with no luck. Pretty sure it was a wing over head malpo. 5/6 locked down hatching is my best success rate yet tho.
Oh man. That is sad. 5/6 is great but it's hard to focus on the positive when it comes with a hit like that. :hugs:jumpy

I’m not 100% sure if I will be hatching some other April eggs beside from my Easter babies and some others due the 16th of April—so I guess I will be joining for those guys due for the 16th ☺
otherwise I hope we get a broody mamma here soon and if not I’ll definitely enter in a May hatch a long (if there is one) If a hen deci to do go broody ;D

This video does a good job showing a fully detached aircell. It rolls/floats to the highest point of the egg. Just like a level.

If the air cell is ok, or just saddled, and the sloshing is in the rest of the egg the yolk and albumen) that's when I'd watch it closely. When an egg shifts from "lava lamp" interior to a less viscous "water bottle" interior and you have no obvious embryo it's likely a bad egg.
Thank you this is good to know, I'll be candleing this coming weekend and will probably pull this one out

Back
Top Bottom