April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Just a reminder. When they start hatching the humidity spikes.
Yes it sure did! Mine shot up to 70% and the bator beeped at me, I opened a vent and got it down to 55-60.
Still just had four chickies at 5am, then at 7 I have six! One of the ameraucanas popped open so at least I have one of each type. I was TOLD they were pure, now I don’t know as two of the copper marans came out yellow/grey, with feathered legs!?! One marans is jet black, seems like a roo, he’s got a pretty good comb already. Thoughts?

Yes it sure did! Mine shot up to 70% and the bator beeped at me, I opened a vent and got it down to 55-60.
Still just had four chickies at 5am, then at 7 I have six! One of the ameraucanas popped open so at least I have one of each type. I was TOLD they were pure, now I don’t know as two of the copper marans came out yellow/grey, with feathered legs!?! One marans is jet black, seems like a roo, he’s got a pretty good comb already. Thoughts?
Hmmm do you have pics?

Where did you get the eggs? I'd contact the seller.

I took some candling pics today with some of the ones that are questionable. They are on day 14.

First is the bielefelder who had veins, but now I see this... is that a blood ring? :(
View attachment 2095134
Here is a video of it:

This is an olive egger, is he developing? And does my air cell look okay? This was the porous egg.
View attachment 2095135

Here is another one I think is developing: is the dark blob we see the chick?

This is another olive egger that had veins last week but now looks like this. Is that a blood ring too? :(
View attachment 2095144

The last two videos here I am just wondering if each of these eggs were infertile and if I should pull them? Just making sure I'm not missing something..

Thank you for any help!!
Yes those are blood rings. They were probably vastly more prominent a few days ago but the blood rings themselves have detached/decomposed.

by day 14, they should all be as dark as the developing egg photo.

I took a look at the developing video, and I think that is a late quitter as well. :-( there should not be as much open/light space at day 14. It’s a fairly large embryo that quit, so what you are seeing of “movement” is actually just sloshing around as you turn the egg.

the quality on my connection isn’t stellar so I can’t see totally clearly, there’s a chance that open space is the last developing space in the egg if you’re inCubating then in their side.... next time you candle that egg you need to hold it completely still for several seconds before looking for movement.

Yes those are blood rings. They were probably vastly more prominent a few days ago but the blood rings themselves have detached/decomposed.

by day 14, they should all be as dark as the developing egg photo.

I took a look at the developing video, and I think that is a late quitter as well. :-( there should not be as much open/light space at day 14. It’s a fairly large embryo that quit, so what you are seeing of “movement” is actually just sloshing around as you turn the egg.

the quality on my connection isn’t stellar so I can’t see totally clearly, there’s a chance that open space is the last developing space in the egg if you’re inCubating then in their side.... next time you candle that egg you need to hold it completely still for several seconds before looking for movement.
Seems like I haven't seen you in ages... How have you been?

Hatching anything?

Seems like I haven't seen you in ages... How have you been?

Hatching anything?
Lost a dog :(, house going on market this month (finally!), and a guy who works for me here at the ranch has Covid as of a couple days ago. I’ve been cleaning like you can’t imagine and realizing Ive likely been directly exposed. I’m just trying to stay incredibly busy to get through the next Few days. Tomorrow will be one week since I’ve been around him sharing equipment, so I really hope I’m in the clear. It’s been a bit of a crazy month.

I’ve got a broody sitting right now! I think I’m 8 days from hatch! Someone kicked her off the nest yesterday for an undetermined amount of time so I took all her eggs and put them in the bator and gave her ceramics to sit on. I’ll check today to see if they’re still developing.

Lost a dog :(, house going on market this month (finally!), and a guy who works for me here at the ranch has Covid as of a couple days ago. I’ve been cleaning like you can’t imagine and realizing Ive likely been directly exposed. I’m just trying to stay incredibly busy to get through the next Few days. Tomorrow will be one week since I’ve been around him sharing equipment, so I really hope I’m in the clear. It’s been a bit of a crazy month.

I’ve got a broody sitting right now! I think I’m 8 days from hatch! Someone kicked her off the nest yesterday for an undetermined amount of time so I took all her eggs and put them in the bator and gave her ceramics to sit on. I’ll check today to see if they’re still developing.
Not the puppy, right?

Not the puppy, right?
No! My oldest dog.

the puppy is meanwhile the ABSOLUTE BEST puppy I’ve ever had. I’m amazed. She is potty trained already, totally docile with the chickens and best friends with my toddler. You’re supposed to have to keep them tethered or on a leash around chickens but she hasn’t chased one yet, shared snacks with them, and is all around sweet and awesome.

Back
Top Bottom