April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

I remove mine about an hour after they hatch. I never leave mine in because the brooder plate or heat lamp dries them off better than a humid environment.

They can stay in for 24 hours or so. They absorb the yolk and that supplies their food. I do like to give my chicks water an hour or so after they hatch because they're usually quite thirsty. I like to give them electrolytes too because they use their energy trying to get out and need a boost.

Everyone has their own way to do things.
Thanks FortCluck
I like getting different opinions so I know how much lead way I have. First time incubating... I’m feeling somewhat confident lol

I remove mine about an hour after they hatch. I never leave mine in because the brooder plate or heat lamp dries them off better than a humid environment.

They can stay in for 24 hours or so. They absorb the yolk and that supplies their food. I do like to give my chicks water an hour or so after they hatch because they're usually quite thirsty. I like to give them electrolytes too because they use their energy trying to get out and need a boost.

Everyone has their own way to do things.
What type of electrolytes? Can I use gatorade with water? I won't be near a farm store in the next 4-5 days...

18 inches? Ok, I didn't realize so low. I will make sure it can go that low.Thanks! And is it 100 degrees when they first arrive to the brooder, or drop to 95 right away, and then down 5 a week?
Thanks

Thanks FortCluck
I like getting different opinions so I know how much lead way I have. First time incubating... I’m feeling somewhat confident lol
I just had my first splayed leg chick... It was a quail. I corrected it. I also just had my first deformed chicken chick that hadn't hatched yet. Made a decision to not continue it's life. It had no upper beak. It wouldn't have survived regardless.

It's always a learning experience. I've done 15+ hatches so far and I always learn something new.

I've sold all my chicks :ya and ducklings! Now all that's left is 3 cockerels.

Oh I hope it resolves. Quail are so tiny!!!! Could you even splint it?

here’s the egg in bator. I have a feeling those blood spots are from a step. With this much veining there’s no way it was trying to zip and she attacked it.

I think it all comes down to moving her when I did. And I gave her too much space for just moving her. Right now she is acting like a perfect momma. I just checked and she has one hatched!!

View attachment 2109316
Little Zoomy is perfect now with no splayed legs. That's not something genetic, right? I already named it so now I have to keep it 😂 All it took was 5 hours with medical tape and about an hour in a cup. Thing is running like a lunatic now. I'll get pics tomorrow. Shelf liner really helped too because it could walk with its legs taped on the grippy shelf liner.

What type of electrolytes? Can I use gatorade with water? I won't be near a farm store in the next 4-5 days...

18 inches? Ok, I didn't realize so low. I will make sure it can go that low.Thanks! And is it 100 degrees when they first arrive to the brooder, or drop to 95 right away, and then down 5 a week?
Thanks
As your chicks get older they will move further away from the heat. They will let you know thier comfort zone. After a while I use a 60 watt bulb. So my brooder is 6 feet by 2 feet. I have a heat lamp on one side and a light bulb on the other. When they are near the lightbulb , then I remove the heat lame and just use 2 lightbulbs. I’ve never checked by thermometer. Your can tell by where the chicks sleep. Usually first few day around the heat lamp.
if they are directly under the lamp and climbing on each other then they are cold. They will huddle together and sleep comfortably... you’ll know. Good luck Minky👍

Thanks

I think it’s technically 95 from what I’ve read. I usually keep mine at 95 and it’s perfect those first few days, but I do watch them to see if they need it warmer or cooler.

Just two babies hatched out for me total I think. There’s still two eggs in the incubator, but they’re on day 24 now. Should I call it quits on them?

The two that are out are healthy sweet little balls of lavender fluff! I’m in love! 😍 Tomorrow Im picking up an 8x8 coop sooo excited. I’ve been using a tiny little 3x4 that I can barely reach into because it’s so tall and it’s way too crowded especially with all these new babies that will be coming in. I want to build a separate pen inside for the babies right away and for future use for broodies etc. I’m soooo happy. Chicken people shouldn’t be in quarantine I think because I can’t stop doing chicken things 😂😂

Attachments

• 22D9D169-3AA6-450E-8392-0D0EF23D2FDE.jpeg
    22D9D169-3AA6-450E-8392-0D0EF23D2FDE.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 6B140B2E-82D7-4CD8-BAD3-350F18D32F59.jpeg
    6B140B2E-82D7-4CD8-BAD3-350F18D32F59.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 8BE5F548-AAE5-42F3-A8D7-E1E89C491438.jpeg
    8BE5F548-AAE5-42F3-A8D7-E1E89C491438.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 3
Just two babies hatched out for me total I think. There’s still two eggs in the incubator, but they’re on day 24 now. Should I call it quits on them?

The two that are out are healthy sweet little balls of lavender fluff! I’m in love! 😍 Tomorrow Im picking up an 8x8 coop sooo excited. I’ve been using a tiny little 3x4 that I can barely reach into because it’s so tall and it’s way too crowded especially with all these new babies that will be coming in. I want to build a separate pen inside for the babies right away and for future use for broodies etc. I’m soooo happy. Chicken people shouldn’t be in quarantine I think because I can’t stop doing chicken things 😂😂

They're so precious! Did you candle to see if there is any movement? I've heard of chicks hatching successfully as late as day 25 but it's not common for them to hatch that late unless the temps were lower during incubation.

Congratulations!!!

Back
Top Bottom