20210401_170130.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210401_164209.jpg
    20210401_164209.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210401_164056.jpg
    20210401_164056.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1
If they are hatching early it's probably because the temperature ran a bit high during incubation.

I will have to double check. I had to pull my Govee out of that incubator to triple check the temp on the Hatcher as it has been giving me problems. The thermometer I have in there has been pretty spot on and it was only reading 99.8.

I can't believe I'm back on a Hatch along so soon! We have not quite 2 week old chicks in the brooder, and they were our first ever incubation. But my favorite hen has just gone broody, and we couldn't stand to see her miserable and try to break her broody.... so we've just stuck four eggs under her just to see what happens. She is only six months old and this is her first time going broody. I mean, I wanted a broody hen.. but I didn't want one two weeks after I hatched chicks. The new eggs, if things go well, will be snowy white EE hen with silver cuckoo marans rooster, so F1 olive eggers.

I can't believe I'm back on a Hatch along so soon! We have not quite 2 week old chicks in the brooder, and they were our first ever incubation. But my favorite hen has just gone broody, and we couldn't stand to see her miserable and try to break her broody.... so we've just stuck four eggs under her just to see what happens. She is only six months old and this is her first time going broody. I mean, I wanted a broody hen.. but I didn't want one two weeks after I hatched chicks. The new eggs, if things go well, will be snowy white EE hen with silver cuckoo marans rooster, so F1 olive eggers.
The same exact thing happened to me. We hatched in the incubator and immediately one of my youngest pullets goes broody. I hope you have better luck with yours. Mine did good for about 10-11 days and went crazy. She pooped all over the eggs and then started eating them. I know that’s gross but it’s the truth. Bad, bad mama...

The same exact thing happened to me. We hatched in the incubator and immediately one of my youngest pullets goes broody. I hope you have better luck with yours. Mine did good for about 10-11 days and went crazy. She pooped all over the eggs and then started eating them. I know that’s gross but it’s the truth. Bad, bad mama...
Yikes! I hope this goes better. So far she is angry squawking at all hens that try to get in the nesting box and making a big fuss with us for looking at her. She had the old wooden eggs we used to teach them where to lay and she was very unhappy when my daughter took them away. She wanted to follow the wooden ones. But five minutes later she was back in the box on the eggs we gave her.

I have to say, I don't know where a broody hen normally poops? I have a learning curve here :)

Yikes! I hope this goes better. So far she is angry squawking at all hens that try to get in the nesting box and making a big fuss with us for looking at her. She had the old wooden eggs we used to teach them where to lay and she was very unhappy when my daughter took them away. She wanted to follow the wooden ones. But five minutes later she was back in the box on the eggs we gave her.

I have to say, I don't know where a broody hen normally poops? I have a learning curve here :)
Normally she will get off the nest once a day to poop. Broody poops are huge and stink to high heaven!

Well, careful candling on DAY 4 of the 12 delayed, detached/loose air cell shipped eggs show NO development in ANY of them. Normally I can see quite clear spider veins at this stage. I will still wait until DAY 7 to toss them, but I am not hopeful anything will change. I do not even want to think about how much I paid for this learning experience. My one surviving paint egg from the last batch is on DAY 13 and looking great. Crossing my fingers it is a paint and not plain black. White would be OK as paints are dominant white, so I could use the bird still for breeding. Poor little thing, has alot riding on it! 😊

Back
Top Bottom