April 2022 hatch-a-long (non-Easter, and Easter welcome)

Pics
Because I was really concerned with the size of the duck egg I put in, I went ahead and made a teeny safety hole this morning. I have a feeling it'll have a hard time getting into proper position and my need some help. I will not intervene any further until we have an external pip that lasts 24 hours.

Also checked on the goose eggs and 2 are making attempts to internally pip. Now that I've made the safety hole I won't be able to check on their progress other than what I see through the window.

Have a great day everyone!

I had a terrible hatch rate this time. Almost as bad as my very first hatch. 9 out of 34 😭 4 were quitters & 21 were non-starters or not fertilized

The 9 we were blessed with are adorable though. I’ll try to get better photos tomorrow.

🙏 my Easter hatch does better. We candled those Saturday & had 2 that weren’t fertilized. They were from our newest layer so I didn’t have too much hope for them. We have 10 left, all we’re moving & had good veining. 🙏 they continue this way. I’m finally trying some fresh local eggs mixed with a few of ours so hopefully we’ll have a better hatch rate this time.
I'm so sorry the hatch wasn't as expected.
They are cuties though those 9!

I had a terrible hatch rate this time. Almost as bad as my very first hatch. 9 out of 34 😭 4 were quitters & 21 were non-starters or not fertilized

The 9 we were blessed with are adorable though. I’ll try to get better photos tomorrow.

🙏 my Easter hatch does better. We candled those Saturday & had 2 that weren’t fertilized. They were from our newest layer so I didn’t have too much hope for them. We have 10 left, all we’re moving & had good veining. 🙏 they continue this way. I’m finally trying some fresh local eggs mixed with a few of ours so hopefully we’ll have a better hatch rate this time.
They are very cute! Love their markings, what are they?

I've got chicks already! I candled on Saturday and took out one more quitter, so that left 19/22 going in to lockdown.
I had 2 pips as of last night, and 2 chicks this morning! One more has hatched since then and a bunch of the eggs are pipped. So far 2 pullets and one cockerel.
chick 1.jpg
chick 2.jpg

I have 13 chicks that so far in this group
chicks from last night The yellow was also a MT egg, (late hatching) not a NN though.
77g.PNG

The same 3 new chicks with 3 barred rock chicks hatched yesterday, (they have no names.)
77f.PNG

In a separate pen I have chicks from earlier in the week Montana chicks below chicks are more fluffy. These 2 NN are "Rusty" and "Boze" The fat chick has no name...maybe "Fatty."
77l.PNG

Below is the third NN she has no name.
77m.PNG

RIR's are Flame, Fyre, and Flicka
77n.PNG

and a group shot...
77d.PNG

2 eggs still in incubator, day 22 (they have safety holes.)

Of the last 2, one needed help. (day 22)I have her on my chest, cooing to her, she is cooing back.

77x.PNG

The last egg quit.

My other chicks are in a separate brooder, separated by a screen they will be combined when the newer ones get their sea legs.
First group to hatch including my NN.
77s.PNG

Second group BR, Cuckoo marans, and EE
77t.PNG

Cute chicks sleeping together.
77p.PNG

Back
Top Bottom