April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Well my quail were supposed to be May 1 babies, but 4 decided to hatch early! 😍 Here’s baby #1 looks rosetta colored!

Attachments

• 61E62F06-9FCA-46B6-BCBA-048FEDAB13D5.jpeg
    61E62F06-9FCA-46B6-BCBA-048FEDAB13D5.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 4
Well I moved my April chicks out to the shed. They are terrified and mostly hiding under the brooder plate, even though they also have a heat lamp so they could walk around and be perfectly warm😅 This group of chicks seems especially nervous and timid about new things. Hopefully that means they are all hens right?

I miss having them in the house but it will smell a lot better in here now😂

I'm late getting here with this one. It's been a doozy of a week - I was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital on weds, had surgery Friday, and got released Saturday afternoon. I'm well and back to work.

Of my seven shipped cuckoo eggs that made it to lockdown while I was in the hospital, only one hatched. I don't know if it was just the luck of the draw with shipped eggs, or because I took them from vertical to horizontal day 15 once the air cells had fully stabalized, or if the non-chicken friends who were kind enough to feed my flock while I couldn't didn't raise the humidity in the hatcher enough (it was only 43 when I got there), but I'm bitterly disappointed.

Luckily my first group of broody hens hatched five splash babies the same day, so I gave them the cuckoo singleton to raise for at least a few days. That baby is looking good so far, and I'm hoping it's a boy (cuckoo is sex-linked when you cross a C hen to a solid roo, so a roo, preferably double-barred, is what I need right now more than a pullet)

I'm disappointed, but I knew a bad outcome was a likely possibility, I was just hoping for not this bad. I think depending on the outcome of my next hatch from this breeder (see below) I'm going to try hatching eggs one more time before I spend double the money on chicks from her.

On the fun side, hatching moves on, and I have 28 Blue Cream shipped silkie eggs due to hatch May 20th, so I'll be joining that hatch-a-long now...

I'm late getting here with this one. It's been a doozy of a week - I was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital on weds, had surgery Friday, and got released Saturday afternoon. I'm well and back to work.

Of my seven shipped cuckoo eggs that made it to lockdown while I was in the hospital, only one hatched. I don't know if it was just the luck of the draw with shipped eggs, or because I took them from vertical to horizontal day 15 once the air cells had fully stabalized, or if the non-chicken friends who were kind enough to feed my flock while I couldn't didn't raise the humidity in the hatcher enough (it was only 43 when I got there), but I'm bitterly disappointed.

Luckily my first group of broody hens hatched five splash babies the same day, so I gave them the cuckoo singleton to raise for at least a few days. That baby is looking good so far, and I'm hoping it's a boy (cuckoo is sex-linked when you cross a C hen to a solid roo, so a roo, preferably double-barred, is what I need right now more than a pullet)

I'm disappointed, but I knew a bad outcome was a likely possibility, I was just hoping for not this bad. I think depending on the outcome of my next hatch from this breeder (see below) I'm going to try hatching eggs one more time before I spend double the money on chicks from her.

On the fun side, hatching moves on, and I have 28 Blue Cream shipped silkie eggs due to hatch May 20th, so I'll be joining that hatch-a-long now...
Oh my! So glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are doing okay now! ❤

And congrats on the Splash babies, though sorry about your cuckoo hatch. It's rough losing them...not only the developing chicks, but all the time and money. Fingers crossed your cuckoo is a cockerel and that all your BCs hatch.

Back
Top Bottom