April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
View attachment 3466811
The chick above died unexpectedly, went to lock the pens up and it was under its mama stiff. Unsure what had happened, something internal I'd assume. A silkie baby, I only placed 2 under her as an experiment, and now I don't have either if the two. Good thing Is, a silkie bantam went broody the other day and i gave her i think 2 or 3 silkie bantam eggs, and another hen if y'all remember me mentioned her, has 6 more silkie bantam eggs. Hoping they'll be healthier.
-
Our deformed little chick is doing well, was actually doing so well i gave back to its mama who hatched it, and it listens to her and can indeed see, and gets around fine.
We decided with it having one-eye, if its a rooster, his name will be Popeye. Meant to take pictures of the little dude but I forgot once again.
I'm so sorry about your lovely little chick. And sorry you seem to have had a few sad events recently. I hope it goes really well with the rest.

Yay for Popeye! That's great news.

How adorable! You always have such a lovely mix of chicks. How are the two groups getting on mixing together?
They are doing great!!! Sometimes a bit of pecking from the older ones but not much at all. There is one specific little one that is now always with the older ones which I found funny. Guess she just likes being with the big kids.

Everybody, meet Popeye!
20230414_082138.jpg
20230414_082106.jpg

And why not throw in his sibling: (They share the same mama, different father though i believe. )
20230414_082207.jpg

#2 out of its shell is a black chick. We have no black hens or black roosters except a black sex link RIR x Barred Rock that free ranges with 3 hens that I don't use in the incubators. He has been known to eye both the Delaware Girls and the RIR Girls... I just don't see a black chick. No other R's within a 1/2 mile of us. Now I am perplexed.

#2 out of its shell is a black chick. We have no black hens or black roosters except a black sex link RIR x Barred Rock that free ranges with 3 hens that I don't use in the incubators. He has been known to eye both the Delaware Girls and the RIR Girls... I just don't see a black chick. No other R's within a 1/2 mile of us. Now I am perplexed.
That’s where chicken genetics gets tricky… you don’t need either parent to be black to get black chicks😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_black_(chicken_plumage)

Back
Top Bottom