April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I feel the same. It would be so convenient if it was simple but it’s decidedly not😂 I haven’t studied it enough to really grasp much beyond that it’s always more complex than I’d expect.
Very much so. I understand Muscovy genetics perfectly, and am starting to get better with rabbits. Chickens have so many modifiers, though! :th

Well, 11 of of 12 Silkie eggs hatched! And even more exciting, 11 out of 16 shipped Cuckoo Silkie eggs are viable for a 4.28 hatch, which is the best result I've ever had with shipped eggs.

Picture for tax, lol.
20230414_135812.jpg

I think the mystery of the black chicks is solved. My wife put in 7 of the pet eggs, eggs from free range RIR hens that free range with a black sex link rooster. He has proven himself potent. There are at least 4 black chicks this morning but it's hard to count through the little windows when they are trying out for the bowling league with their siblings still in their shells.

I'm not keeping my hopes up, but I only have a few eggs left now, due around the 20th. All the eggs in my new incubator got cooked, then frozen. All are dead.

I am currently very discouraged and depressed. Out of 69 eggs, I got three live chicks.

I'm returning the new incubator that killed all my babies. I also wrote a strongly worded letter to Little Giant.

21 of 41 out of the shell with many more pipped. Looking like a good hatch in box #1. Box #2 is an accidental experiment. At some point after setting the temp control in box 2 malfunctioned and instead of a 99.5° temp that is was showing the real temp was around 94. I may have drowned them all with a 75% humidity during lock down. When there were no pips this morning I checked the temp again with a manual thermometer and took the actions I did. Not only raising the temp but lowering the humidity back down to 32%. It's a wait and see. I'm glad none of those may have been chicks were promised.

Back
Top Bottom