April Fools 2014 - BYC Sponsored Study: Increase Chicken Broodiness By Up To 48% With Aluminum Foil

Could the mechanism be more to do with reflected light reaching the pineal gland than reflected estradiol?
Good thought but I would doubt that since the hen would only be in the nest for a short period and that would be during her hemeral day period. It's the length of day, not so much the intensity of light.

Last edited:
what works better yet is to have an empty shop vac cannister as the nesting box and just wrap the inside of it with aluminum foil for maximum effects.
lol.png

edit: Don't buy the cheap foil, go for the sturdy industrial kind so the hen doesn't scratch it it lose and the chicks can eat it. I wanted to buy a solid aluminum cylinder to use as her nesting box, but that would just be silly.

Last edited:
I wonder if it will work with my ducks. I Just got a new shed yesterday and I am going to try it.

I was working on the EXACT same theory! We fastened a revolving aluminum disco ball to the coop ceiling and piped in Donna Summers, playing very softly. We actually got three eggs a day until the broodiness began. Thrilled with results!

Very interesting. Was one of the alternate theories being tested, that of leaving 7 fake or real eggs in the nest? I've often read this is an irresistible enticement to a hen, but have never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom