April Hatch-A-long come join!!

I had one EE hatch this morning and three RIRs are pipped. They are starting to hatch one day early. I guess my temp. was a little high. I use a Sargent Welch scientific thermometer and it always read between 99.5 and 100 degrees so I really don't know why they are early. All the rest of my eggs are rocking and rolling.
smile.png

I think 29-30 is my head count. They sure move fast. But, with what is left in the incubator I am close.
First picture is one of the FIVE cochins that hatched. Barred Cochin roo over a Black Cochin hen (Sweet Harry and Lil' Momma)

62714_110_4388.jpg

Self appointed look out.....BO roo over RIR hen...such cute chicks and hopefully the best of both breeds.

62714_110_4390.jpg

There's a plate under there with chick starter on it....little piggies. Guess they were ready to eat...they attacked it. Water dish was funny. Very shallow, very heavy little dish. Filled it with bigger than chicken mouth rocks. Now that was funny. Someone would get brave enough to taste that strange looking stuff and right in the middle of it some chick would run through the bowl!

62714_110_4394.jpg

Mixed chicks, BR chicks and Cochin chicks.....

I'm in!!

I have 160+ in the bator due to start hatching on Easter Sunday! It's a staggered hatch so they will be going all week. I candled the first rack last night. 99% fertility!!

My hatch date was 4/6. I figured out how to post pics, hopefully...if this doesn't post as a photo please tell me what I am doing wrong.

54145_dscn4951.jpg

This is one of our little red Silkies. We bought 9 Silkie eggs, 3 white and the rest red. One white one was clear and was discarded day 14 and one red chick died shortly after hatching with an unhealed navel and an enlarged soft abdomen. Anyone have any ideas about the cause of this? All other chicks were perfect. I estimate that's an 87% hatch rate because I read you don't count the clear ones. Is that right? These were shipped eggs. I used a Brinsea Mini Advance EX.

I'm up to 4 lil BLRW chicks and a Wheaton Maran tying to pop that top off the shell....

go lil chickies...
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

melinda

Tuesday at 8pm was the start of day 21. Chicks have been hatching for three days! Went to bed really late last night because of storms with one pip trying to zip. Woke up this morning to TWO new chicks!

Set 41.
Pulled two before lockdown...one blood ring and one light bulb.
Culled one that hatched.
That left 38....this morning there are only SIX eggs left in the incubator!

I plan on shutting down the incubator on Saturday.

The best part of this entire hatch was that I got SIX cochin babies. Their momma was killed the night before I set the eggs.

Inside my brooder right now is a wild place to be!!!

Back
Top Bottom