April Hatch Along

This is my first time incubating and hatching chicks. I set 12 eggs on March 28th, candled them yesterday and have 7 viable eggs. They're from my flock of chickens, lavender orphington roo and easter egger, olive egger, barred rock, and lavender orphington hens. Hoping next month order eggs.

I guess I better join up. I have a dozen EE and about a dozen Marans eggs in the incubator that I started at the end of last week. I'm saving up some bantam rocks and hoping I'll find my guinea nest so I can toss those in too (I have two incubators so a full house and staggered hatches are no problem)

Hi, all!

I have my first-ever small batch (8) of eggs in the incubator. They're set to hatch on the 6th...I go into lockdown tomorrow.

I have 3 eggs that look like late quitters, but they don't smell so I'm keeping them in.

We'll see how this goes!

Awesome! Welcome fellow first hatcher! Good luck with lock down.

Barring any obstacles I should receive 3 dozen RIR hatching eggs today.  I will be setting them tomorrow before I leave to go to work.

Wow! 3 dozen. My incubator doesn't even hold 2 dozen. LOL

This is my first time incubating and hatching chicks. I set 12 eggs on March 28th, candled them yesterday and have 7 viable eggs. They're from my flock of chickens, lavender orphington roo and easter egger, olive egger, barred rock, and lavender orphington hens. Hoping next month order eggs.

Hello, another fellow first hatcher! Very glad I'm not alone. You're just a few days ahead of me.

I guess I better join up. I have a dozen EE and about a dozen Marans eggs in the incubator that I started at the end of last week. I'm saving up some bantam rocks and hoping I'll find my guinea nest so I can toss those in too (I have two incubators so a full house and staggered hatches are no problem)

Very cool! Neat variety. I think guineas need to be a part of our farmstead. Hubby isn't convinced yet. I'll enjoy following along!

First time hatching ducks, please give me some advice

Can I join guys! Aside from my Easter hatch, yesterday I set 18 of TJ Chickens' Polish eggs, and 12 CCL eggs I got off of Facebook, and I've got 9 left of Alchemist Farms' Sage Eggers due to hatch on the 7th.

Can I join guys! Aside from my Easter hatch, yesterday I set 18 of TJ Chickens' Polish eggs, and 12 CCL eggs I got off of Facebook, and I've got 9 left of Alchemist Farms' Sage Eggers due to hatch on the 7th.

Of course!
Welcome new hatchers! I will never forget my first hatch. It was such a huge learning experience. I hated my incubator that year. I built two last year. The first was great for one hatch but then frustrated me. The current incubator has been my favorite experience so far. I am probably going to build another one this year. I'd like to be able to stagger hatches so I don't feel as overwhelmed getting fresh eggs all at the same time.

I was going to candle and rearrange last night. I candled three eggs and decided it was still too early. I tipped the trays and have left it. I'll check again tonight. With over a hundred eggs it will take a while.

Very cool! Neat variety. I think guineas need to be a part of our farmstead. Hubby isn't convinced yet. I'll enjoy following along!

Guineas are annoying but the keets are my money makers so I have three pairs just for that reason. They can be good about sounding a predator alarm but sometimes they just scream for the fun of it.
he.gif

I checked the EE eggs that I put in last Thursday and they have huge healthy and active embryos already :) BTW does anyone know when an embryo graduates to fetus in chickens?

I noticed a smell on Sunday and made a mental note that I needed to check the eggs. Well. yesterday when I was checking them I found one was leaking, and of course even though I was very careful it broke so I did a quick cleanup. I got the other incubator out of the attic and it is warming up as we speak and I will transfer everyone over to it today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I had some quiet time so I candled all of the eggs. 28 are dark brown- so no news. 6 were obvious too porous, blood ringed, or clear, so I tossed them. Of the other 72: 40 looked good or great and 32 were confusing- possibly too dark, or too porous, or clear, or starting blood rings, but I might be mistaken.

I now have 100 eggs in there. I moved some of the ? to a non turning spot. I will begin turning the others several times a day. I figure, if this goes well I'll have about 50 chicks in a few weeks.

I don't plan to candle again until 4/14- 4/17 before lockdown. I might check a few of the ? sooner, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom