April Hatch Along

Update on duck eggs, this is a photo of day 4 candeling on some of the eggs. Still a bit earlier, but it's happening.

I'm a little late joining this thread....but I got my first batch of eggs today. They are Auburn Javas. I got 36 eggs and the breeder included 4 extra, a baker's dozen x 3 :) The shipper did an excellent job. The eggs were wrapped individually, put in 18 count egg cartons and then surrounded with wool. I've unpacked them from the wool and set the unopened egg cartons near the incubator to rest. I'll be setting the eggs in the incubator late this evening, by then they will have rested for 12 hours. These are what Auburn Javas look like :) I'm planning on candling on day 8 and day 18 just before lockdown. Wish me luck with my first ever incubation and first chickens!
Happy to see you jumping in! Those are beautiful birds. Fingers crossed for your first hatch!

Hi all,
Wandering over to this thread because I have a very staggered hatch this month - about every 5 days a new group will go into the hatching bator. My regular incubator looks like terrible tenement housing right now, with eggs crammed everywhere. I'm sure my family gets a kick out of watching me turn them all, but I have a system (mhmm, :confused: yes, yes, I sure do...). Anyway, my first "unlikely to yield anything" group of three badly damaged shipped Bieles is in the hatcher and there is one tiny pip. The air sacks were so bad on these, I'm not getting my hopes up. Saturday I will put in a better, second set of Bieles. Following that will be some cjwaldon CLs, then some tjchickens Bantam d'Uccles, followed by some more Bieles, CLs and some 55s - all from Papa's here locally. Whew!! Oh....and then there's that bid on ebay I placed impulsively.... (sadly, I will not be offering any advice on self control during this hatchalong!!)

Back
Top Bottom