April Hatch Along

Pics
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm a bit nervous because of our last utter failure of a hatch, or lack of hatching. It was so sad to have them make it to peeping, watching them rock and respond to our chirps and whistles(I have a 5 and 6 year old so they were really excited too) and then not even make an external pip. :-( I've read too much info at this point, the humidity and the air cel check made the most sense, I am sure that is where we went wrong last time. I incubated at 55% humidity according to instructions and info online. then upped to 75% at lock down. Still not clear what the optimal humidity will be for us here for hatching.
Totally understand
hugs.gif
Hatching is a learning process...with lots of ups and downs. Fortunately, the more you do it...you figure out what you need to have a successful hatch for where you live. I lived at sea level for years and never had humidity issues....had a system down that worked every year! Then we moved up to the mountains..6500ft and having to figure everything out again
th.gif
Good luck with your hatch!!!!

Humidity is always the wildcard. Different areas of the world require different percentages, so its not possible to tell you the best number. Sadly, we usually have to learn this by trial and error, and I'm sorry that your kids didn't have the best first experience with that trial and error phase.

55% is almost always too humid. It works for some, but I'd say a very small percentage can manage with 55%. My best recommendation is if you live in a humid climate, start with your incubator totally dry. It will still likely run around 25-35% without any water at all added. If you live in a very dry climate, start with just a little water, or even just a damp sponge.

Then on day 7, candle and check your air cells. Compare to one of the many charts that can be found online. If the air cells are too large, then add a little water. Humidity goes by surface area of the water, not the actual amount/depth. So keep that in mind also.

Its much easier to start low and increase the humidity to slow the air cell growth later, than vice versa.

** And just in case you are at a higher elevation, that throws a whole nother wrench in the mix!
SO TRUE!!!!!
goodpost.gif

Well, about 48 hr after lockdown we have 11 hatched and 2 partially unzipped and still in incubator - will wait another 48 hours before calling it quits on the rest of the eggs given that the first one hatched less than 12 hours after lockdown, thus it will be 4 days after lockdown - unless one of you more experienced folks feel we should give them more time???

Last edited:

Eggs went in 7 days ago. I'm excited to candle them tomorrow. Reading this tread is great. Reading the stories and seeing the chicks makes me hope for a successful hatch

Whoops I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Seem like I am 14 days to early for this one.

Last edited:
The last two babies hatched under my OEGB last night. I was thinking they were DIS. The Brahma bantam still has three eggs but they are definitely no good according to a quick candling this morning. I think tonight I will candle the guinea eggs under my bantam rock and the ones that are furthest along I will give to the Brahma since she's been broody longer.

Today is day 22 of incubation. Yesterday, 10 of my 12 eggs hatched, YAY!
wee.gif

I had been uncertain about the 2 remaining, one has looked off since day 10 when I candled, one since day 14. The first is definitely gone, but that second egg had a bit of movement in it this morning (maybe a leg waving?) Is there anything I can do to help it along besides leaving it in the incubator a couple more days?

wee.gif
I'm going to be a chicken Grandma!!!!
wee.gif
My CL roo finally quit falling off!! Lol!! I set 3 CL eggs on the 20th and 5 more on the 24th and they're all growing!!

yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

One of my splash and black copper marans that hatched over the last couple of days.

celebrate.gif
So cute! I have 3 marans eggs on day 14 looking great! (along with a few others...)

Eggs went in 7 days ago. I'm excited to candle them tomorrow. Reading this tread is great. Reading the stories and seeing the chicks makes me hope for a successful hatch

Whoops I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Seem like I am 14 days to early for this one.

Welcome! And good luck! I hope you will update on your hatch. I'd love to know how you like the new Ovation incubator and how well it works!!

The last two babies hatched under my OEGB last night. I was thinking they were DIS. The Brahma bantam still has three eggs but they are definitely no good according to a quick candling this morning. I think tonight I will candle the guinea eggs under my bantam rock and the ones that are furthest along I will give to the Brahma since she's been broody longer.

I'd love to have some Brahma bantams!!

My OEGB had a quitter and one pipped, but dead under her this morning, plus 2 live chicks, so I swapped out the 2 dead ones with 2 live ones from my incubator hatch!
smile.png

And my Serama broody.... oh, she's one of those pecker broodies, so I haven't messed much with her. The other hatches on time with hers had since finished, so I risked my hand to check for quitters under her. Found 2 eggs, but one was not one that I had given to her. I gave her eggs that had been incubated for 10 days when she went broody, and they were marked! Apparently she laid this one that day. And it was still alive!! Luckily, I have eggs in the bator on the same timeline, so I popped it in with those. It was a teeny tiny egg too.

I think she has either 4 or 5 chicks. Hard to believe she's so mean, huh. lol

Back
Top Bottom