April Hatch Along

Pics
I hate to sound dumb....just rub it around where they have pipped? I have coconut oil....

Yep, just a dab with your fingertip or a qtip. Only on the exposed part. Inside too, if they have a larger hole busted out. Just watch the eyes and nares.

Sorry...how long after pip? 12 hours or more. The one I finally assisted pipped last night. The two that look like they are trying to turn brown pipped this morning.

12 hours or so seems odd for sure, but I've never hatched Cayugas. Maybe someone else can comment, if they are different.

6 CHICKS!!! YAY!! Not a great hatch rate so far, but a few were due today so there is still hope for the ones left. 5 out of 8 of my little hens eggs hatched, 1 out of 5 of the blue eggs we were given, and none of the 8 from my big hen? Not sure what went wrong there, but we are unsure of her age and breed. Only 13 made it to lockdown, and we got 6 out of those so my kids and I are happy with that!! :) Thinking of trying some silica packets under the grate or dry rice next time to try to lower humidity more, or even drilling a couple of extra vent holes.

Ducks can take forever... As far as humidity, you say 82%, does the glass have condensation on it. It should have a little. Pics of the membrane??

The glass has a bit of condensation in the corners and around vents. The Anconas are not having this problem. They zip and are out in no time. Hour maybe? Just the Cayugas are pipping and as they try to zip...the membrane starts turning brown. Yeah, my Welshies pipped and it was forever before they zipped but again, they zipped and were out within an hour...2 at most. Not sure I can get a pic but I'll try. The little guy I picked out slowly but surely is all over the incubator now. Hopefully he will be okay. :)

Thank you!

Not the greatest light, but here is Buffy with one of her Olive Egger babies!!
Yay, Buffy! Nice job.
love.gif

I lost track of this thread for a while... is there a May Hatch-a-Long started? I have a broody Silkie, so I am giving her a few eggs.

One thing I have noticed about having my broody hatch eggs is that the chicks just seem so much more lively than when I incubate - they're just over a day old and they scrambled up the little ramp back into the nest - no problem!

One thing I have noticed about having my broody hatch eggs is that the chicks just seem so much more lively than when I incubate - they're just over a day old and they scrambled up the little ramp back into the nest - no problem!
Aww, that is great to hear! I'm not surprised that a fluffy mama is more invigorating than a plastic box. I've never had a broody hatch eggs before, so I am excited for an incubator-free hatch.

Congratulations!

Congrats to everyone and their adorable babies
love.gif
Boy...gone a day and so much has happened! So final count on my ducks...four beautiful babies! The last one hatched yesterday
celebrate.gif

Here he is
big_smile.png

And all four snuggled together
love.gif
No more hatching for me for now! Time to enjoy my babies
wee.gif

So last night I thought I saw a pip in one of the Orp eggs. Sure enough this morning there was a baby trying to zip. As the day went on the little one was loud and struggling. Well I got a call that meant I need to make an overnight trip to Ohio tomorrow morning. Which lead to the fact that a choice had to be made. Help the egg tonight at 24 hours from pip, or take a chance that it would die and my husband wouldn't look in on it and notice (he's really not the chicken person in this household haha). Since the remaining three eggs hadn't pipped, I decided to assist. It was a good thing too, the little guy was so tired and his membrane had dried to the point that he couldn't push his way out. Even after I removed the top part of his shell, he wasn't able to get out. Some warm water and q-tips later, my sole Blue English Orpington was hatched, in my hand. Hopefully five hours is enough to dry out and fluff up so he can join the 12 Ams in the brooder. At this point I'm pretty sure none of the other three will hatch, but I'll leave them in the bator until I get home.

Back
Top Bottom