Aquarium Tank

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
ok I know this probably doesn’t deserve to go under “coop”. But I’ve been having some concerns lately with my button quails.
First off, the housing I use is a 65(or 75?) gallon glass tank that is long. I have 4 Quail that live in it. I have a filter which sits on the top left of the tank for dust, and 2 lights; One for heat, and one for fake sun.
Recently one of my buttons has somehow gotten an eye infection, and another one has blood in her stools. I am a little concerned about ventilation in the tank maybe causing health issues. The buildup of ammonia I know can irritate eyes, and walking through feces is just dirty. I try to keep it as clean as I can, but it takes almost half a day to clean as its awkward and gets filthy.
Any suggestions on what I can do to maybe keep it cleaner, or have more ventilation for them. (Although they do sometimes jump and get out so I would need a mesh of some sort).

Attachments

• 564A122D-0C51-493E-9275-855DFDB104CF.jpeg
    564A122D-0C51-493E-9275-855DFDB104CF.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 18
It may be the heat .I raised chicks in a 50 gallon incubator once and found it got especially hot because of the glass. it radiated the Heat and made it hotter than I thought it was .
why don't you just get a plastic tub and use that? cut part of the top out and secure some hardware cloth to a hole in the top of the plastic tub .
Yes the heat was hotter and the ammonia was a lot worse than when I use my big plastic 120 gallon tubs.
probably a lot easier to do.
Karen

I have a filter which sits on the top left of the tank for dust
Is it a static filter to keep dust out of house.......or fan driven?

I am a little concerned about ventilation in the tank maybe causing health issues.
Definitely a concern unless you are circulating some air in and out of there.

I try to keep it as clean as I can, but it takes almost half a day to clean as its awkward and gets filthy.
As nice as an aquarium might be, something easier to maintain would be much better.

Heat may also be a factor.

I'm concerned about ventilation also, and what's their bedding? I would use the fine baled shavings for horses, and never le that smell develop! Is your waterer leaking? That's not good either. Why a heat lamp? Unless they are VERY young and not feathered out, room temp. is fine! You do have a hardware cloth top, right, not solid?
When we had a small flock of Japanese quail, they did fine indoors with ambient lighting and temps.
How about a big home-built structure, with hardware cloth everywhere? Mary

You can take the front glass off of the aquarium and replace it with hardware cloth. What materials and tools do you have avalible to you?
Not a bad idea if they are willing to sacrifice the water holding aspect.
Could frame out some access doors too.

Not a bad idea if they are willing to sacrifice the water holding aspect.
Could frame out some access doors too.
Thats what i was thinking, but it all depends on what supplies and skills they have avalible. Also if they dont damage the glass it can be restored later its just difficult.

Back
Top Bottom