Aquatic plants to keep duck pool clean?

talkhorsesducks

Songster
Apr 13, 2022
Hello!
I was wondering if there were aquatic plants that I could have in my duck pool seasonally. I don’t have a pond- just a kiddie pool. I live in a growing zone 2 area. In the summer we get 15°C (59°F) to the hottest of 30°c (86°F)

I have khaki Campbells, Anconas and mandarins. The pool gets gross super fast, and we get all of our water from a well- so It’s very difficult to refill the pool every few days- especially since I have a full covered aviary and to removed the pool from the aviary the water has to be dumped.

On average it’s -10°C (14°F) at the warmest.
Usually it’s -15°C to -20°c (5°F to -4°F)
At night and on cold days it drops to -30°C (-22°F) to the coldest of -40°C (-40°F) and occasionally it dips to -50°C (-58°F)
So plants barely live here in the winter.

Are there any aquatic plants that would help keep my pool clean- and are safe for my ducks? Is there any way I could have these plants inside for the winter or will I have to buy new ones every year?

Hello!
I was wondering if there were aquatic plants that I could have in my duck pool seasonally. I don’t have a pond- just a kiddie pool. I live in a growing zone 2 area. In the summer we get 15°C (59°F) to the hottest of 30°c (86°F)

I have khaki Campbells, Anconas and mandarins. The pool gets gross super fast, and we get all of our water from a well- so It’s very difficult to refill the pool every few days- especially since I have a full covered aviary and to removed the pool from the aviary the water has to be dumped.

On average it’s -10°C (14°F) at the warmest.
Usually it’s -15°C to -20°c (5°F to -4°F)
At night and on cold days it drops to -30°C (-22°F) to the coldest of -40°C (-40°F) and occasionally it dips to -50°C (-58°F)
So plants barely live here in the winter.

Are there any aquatic plants that would help keep my pool clean- and are safe for my ducks? Is there any way I could have these plants inside for the winter or will I have to buy new ones every year
So, the problem is that the ducks will eat any edible plant and you do not want to use any that aren’t. My best suggestion would be to look into aquaponics or duckponics. You pump the water to another pool the ducks can’t get in, and grow plants in it. If you want water plants, duck weed is easy. If you want crops, lettuce would grow well and the ducks would love to eat it.

So, the problem is that the ducks will eat any edible plant and you do not want to use any that aren’t. My best suggestion would be to look into aquaponics or duckponics. You pump the water to another pool the ducks can’t get in, and grow plants in it. If you want water plants, duck weed is easy. If you want crops, lettuce would grow well and the ducks would love to eat it.
Thank you so much for this.

Back
Top Bottom