Araucana still not laying...

JayneMae

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Orting
She was hatched in February and still has not laid anything. Her hatchmate, a BR, is and has been laying just about daily for the past 2 months. Do you think she will eventually lay or do you think we'll be having chicken for dinner once our other gals are old enough to keep the BR company?

Here's a pic to prove she's not a roo.
tongue.png

102761_2011-07-12_11-08-51_860.jpg

EE's tend to be slower about starting to lay than araucana. I would expect any time since her face is pink. EE's can start to lay between 6 and 9 months. My araucanas usually start between 5 and 6 months.

Lanae

Do you think it's an EE then, instead of an araucana? The feed store I got her and her hatch mates at said she was an araucana, but...

Quote:
Definately not an araucana... Araucanas are rumpless with ear tufts and no beards. I say Ameraucana, AKA, EE.

Ameraucanas aren't EEs either though. EEs tend to be a mix of all sorts but have the blue gene from the Ameraucanas and Araucanas. She's right about the standard for the Araucana though tufts no beard and rumpless.

Just because she's an EE doesn't make her any less special though. I actually have a girl who looks almost identical and she lays the most beautiful little mint colored egg with white spots. And I thought she was a HennyRoo for the longest. She took about 6-7 months to start her lay so don't get discouraged!

She is an absolutely georgous Easter Egger. I have several, and always wanted one her color but havn't gotten one.

Here are what Araucanas look like.
19098_4-25-2011_124.jpg

19098_01-31-2011_075.jpg

19098_11-10-2010_114.jpg

19098_tufted_splash_hen_2.jpg

19098_duckwing_1.jpg

Lanae

I have a hen identical to the OP! I bought a pair as Ameraucanas but just found out she is an EE, (thanks to responses on a different thread). When I listed what I have for poultry I put EE because I thought that encompassed all blue and green egg layers? I guess not? I don't know! SO much to learn!! Post pics of her eggs when she starts to lay. We should compare colors
smile.png

Guess I need to change my signature, then, huh?!
tongue.png

I'll post pics of the eggs as soon as I get them...If I ever get them.
fl.gif

Quote:
Here are my EEs my brown one, Chickie, looks just like yours....she is the most beautiful bird I have of my seven. The second would be my other EE she is mostly white, her name is Blondie. Can you tell my three year old son helped us name them....lol

81976_img_20110722_195906.jpg

Back
Top Bottom