Araucana thread anyone?

Trish,
Why does some Araucanas are born with a tail? I cull the ones with tails. Some of the ones I got from Edd Sheppard got tails.
It's a recessive gene rearing its ugly head. That's good you cull the tailed ones. Edd doesn't breed towards the Standard. His chicks are often off colored and have sloppy combs, and also known to have fertility problems due to short backs.

I bought 2 pullets from Ann Charles a year and a half ago. One recently passed away from complications after I removed an egg that was stuck in her.
Sorry to hear that, but that also explain why your pullet it’s so pretty. I got mine from Ann too.
when mine get egg bound I give them a calcium pill, dose high enough for a human. The trick always work (knock on wood). I’m so glad I’m not a chicken!

I see. I got 45 eggs and only hatched 9. I noticed at least 5 got tails.

I've hatched eggs from two different breeders this year -instate shipping. Both hatch rate about 30 - 35 %. Out of the bunch, about 1/4 have tails. Males goes into freezer camp, the gals can still be kept for eggs. Technically, breed it back to rumpless and you can still get 50/50 tail.

Last edited:
I've hatched eggs from two different breeders this year -instate shipping. Both hatch rate about 30 - 35 %. Outbof the bunch, about 1/4 have tails. Males goes into freezer camp, the gals can still be kept for eggs. Technically, breed it back to rumpless and you can still get 50/50 tail.
I got eggs from a guy from Georgia, all 8 eggs/chicks are rumpless, I guess it’s a hit or miss. How is the meat? I mean taste and amount? I got plenty of freezer camp chicks from this hatch.

Back
Top Bottom