Araucana thread anyone?

Welp, they're out as of last night. I didn't have time with the cold coming in to integrate the way I wanted. Sigh... Last time I get chicks this late in the season without mom to take care of them. I put them out in the coop last night right after the girls were all settled. Poor guys were very upset with me.
This should go alright, since at least two of the chicks are cockerels. I have to talk to Ann at some point once its obvious what they are... One of the ones sold to me as a pullet is a cockerel. I'm not sure what her policy is on that.

The kids seem to be doing alright down in the coop. I got home early last night, so I went down and watched for a while. They're getting pecked when they get in the way, but its not bad. At one point all three were at the water bucket with older hens around. All were drinking and nobody was pushing out the kids, so that was good. My daughter, being my daughter, ended up picking up the blue mottled and putting him in her shirt, where he promptly fell asleep. LOL
Last night I went down to lock them in the coop, and of course the three blue kids were at the edge of the fencing, next to the gate in a chicken pile. SIGH... so I picked them all up and put them in the coop and locked them in. They'll go up on their own, soon.. but sigh... its a pain until they do.
Resized_20191017_163948.jpeg

I had a really interesting sale yesterday! A lady from an hour and a half away came and got one of my BBR cockerels and the black gypsy faced cockerel for a "project". I figured it was an Easter or Olive egger project, but no, she was after the rumplessness. She raises a Japanese breed called Onagadori (I had to look it up - never heard of it before), which is a BEAUTIFUL chicken with REALLY long tails (as in a couple feet long). She had a recessive gene pop up in her hatchings this summer and ended up with a rumpless Onagadori pullet. She's going to use my cockerels to try and make a rumpless variety of the breed. I thought that was so cool! I'm used to selling them as Easter or Olive egger projects or 4-H projects, but a rumpless project was a new one for me!

I had a really interesting sale yesterday! A lady from an hour and a half away came and got one of my BBR cockerels and the black gypsy faced cockerel for a "project". I figured it was an Easter or Olive egger project, but no, she was after the rumplessness. She raises a Japanese breed called Onagadori (I had to look it up - never heard of it before), which is a BEAUTIFUL chicken with REALLY long tails (as in a couple feet long). She had a recessive gene pop up in her hatchings this summer and ended up with a rumpless Onagadori pullet. She's going to use my cockerels to try and make a rumpless variety of the breed. I thought that was so cool! I'm used to selling them as Easter or Olive egger projects or 4-H projects, but a rumpless project was a new one for me!
That’s so interesting. Please ask her to keep you updated on how it comes along and to send pictures. :fl :pop

onagadori chicken's tail grows 1 meter/year. rumpless onagadori?????????????????????

I need to get some pics tonight when I get home, but I think I once again have two cockerels and a pullet.
The blue cuckoo (I still haven't named them) is already getting his saddle feathers in, and they're 11 weeks.
The Blue mottled has massive dark blue to black wing bars, and I think I see male saddle feathers on him too. He's the one who was sold as a pullet.
The Blue paint, who was straight run, is a pullet, I'm 99.9% sure. Funny because my surviving pullet from the last batch was straight run too... and the one sold as a pullet was also a cockerel.

ETA: I will wait for more saddle feathers on the blue paint, to confirm, but I wonder what Ann Charles' policy on sexed pullets turning out to be cockerels is.

Back
Top Bottom