Araucana thread anyone?

Yay, Cindy!
Thanks for the update.
Michael & I were going to go, even booked a room but we had too many projects to get done.

Here are your girls:
54467_cimg3619.jpg

They're doing well. We're still trying to figure out names.

Help us out! Our thoughts are (white & golden-blue, respectively):

Pebbles & Bam-Bam
Tartar & FishStick
Latte & Mocha
Popcorn & Peanut
Mourning & SpazzMaTazz
Lilo & Stitch
MaryAnn & Ginger
Luna & Notte
?? & ??

Quote:
I never realized before. . . That's a Blue Wheaten pullet you have there.
thumbsup.gif

I'd say Tartar and FishStick.

cmsdvm: Thanks very much for the report!
smile.png

is it possible (like a Black Copper Marans eggs color can and will go from a 8 to a 4 of the scale by the end of the laying cycle) for the Araucana egg to change in color? Will the hen laying this eggs change to blue as she matures? or do I need to figure out who is doing it and get rid of her?
Lg eggs Black Copper Marans & Rouen Duck( one has gone from Blue to white) in center
Med eggs my incubated hatch hens right side
2 small blue and 2 small beige eggs from purchase chicks. Only 1 beige eggs a day top left and side
010.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure which egg you are refering to. A blue egg layer will have eggs get lighter depending on where she is in her laying cycle. They will go back to blue. A green egg layer will not change to a blue egg layer, and a tan egg layer will not change to a blue egg layer.

I have two green egg laying araucanas. I have bred them to a roo from a blue egg. The pullets from that should start laying in a month or so. It will be interresting to see what they lay. All my others lay really nice blue eggs, but the blue eggs do get lighter in color almost to white and then go back. At least that has been my experience.

Lanae

Quote:
Yes. An Araucana's egg will get more color/vibrance as her cycle matures, then fade out as it ends. Also, I do notice that at the beginning of a pullet's cycle, her egg will appear greener than it ever will be in the future. The first 3-5 eggs will be more on the green side, but they're get bluer as they go. (unless the Araucana really is a green egg layer, which is not wanted)

o i love some of my araucana girls that lay the olive drab colored eggs, makes the blue ones really pop out at you when in a carton together. Some of my egg customers love the colors.. we don't show are araucana eggs so we don't worry to much about that color here if used for eating. however when selling any hatching eggs we try to avoid selling them for hatching if possible, of course some like the multi color ability for there eating eggs.

however i would recommend breeding toward the bluer color if you can get your males sorted out.

like in our Lavender araucana projects, we mainly used hens that laid good intense blue eggs but also had 2 hens that had slight blueish-green color and all males proven to be fully blue passers.
we've been told by the few that got the eggs so far that they are the bluest eggs they ever seen in araucana

Last edited:
the beige eggs are from a newly laying Araucana and it has me freaked out since the chicks I purchase are supposed to be from some of the best in the Country according to the breeder I got them from!!!!

the beige eggs are from a newly laying Araucana and it has me freaked out since the chicks I purchase are supposed to be from some of the best in the Country according to the breeder I got them from!!!!

you mean brown...which beige is,,, some of the supposedly best breeders aren't always the best unfortunately, maybe that specific breeder mixed up eggs with crosses...it can happen to some if they dont keep there breeders penned properly. now if you got roo's from them as well its gonna be a little fun seeing who's carrying what in the next generation of chicks produced by these offspring..​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom