Araucanas/Americanas

They are both gorgeous roosters!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
You know, I have said this over and over, but Eleanor, my straight, and floppy combed EE fooled me. I thought for sure she was laying the sweet little light brownish egg for the longest time. Come to find out she is laying giant bluish green eggs. And my favorite EE who has a pea comb is the one laying the small light brown one! So much for my mantra on pea combs and straight combs.
tongue.png

Your EE roos are beautiful!

Cross-over does occur, no doubting it, but if I was picking an EE and wanting blue eggs, I'd make sure to choose one with a pea comb--chances are extremely good that I'd get my wish. (and pretty good that I wouldn't if I chose a straight comb)

While they are are not purebreed Ameraucana's, they sure are beautiful. EE's are great chickens! I have three and they are great layers of beautiful eggs (2 lay green eggs and 1 lays blue) and very sweet. Just because they are not purebred, doesn't mean you can't breed them. Most chicken people like EEs!
big_smile.png
Just for reference, most Araucanas and Ameracaunas that are advertised are EEs. Purebreds of either breed are pretty hard to find and generally through private breeders only. You can breed EEs to EEs to maintain characteristics you want and I am sure you won't be disappointed! Especially with your gorgeous roos!

Thanks for all of the help because Im quite the newbe:/

Question

What are the ones that most of the hatchery's sell?

The two roosters came from McMurry and were advertised as Ameraucana's ?

Randy, do a search of EEs and Ameraucanas here.

And here is a link to the Ameraucana Breeders Club website that will give you more info. So many folks go through this confusion, including myself when I first started researching this breed.

http://ameraucana.org/

The problem with the hatchery "Ameraucanas" is they do not conform to standards and do not breed true. The true Ameraucanas have 8 colors accepted by the APA, (Am Poultry Assoc) and you can be fairly certain if you buy from a breeder that your egg or chick will fit the standard (or most from the hatch)

Good luck! And post a pic of your roos. People do love them and while I have purebreds, I will always keep a few Easter Eggers around because some of the colors are so pretty.

Last edited:
Quote:
If this is a true statement, why then do the hatcheries and some susposedly knowledgeable breeders insist on selling them as Ameraucanas/Araucanas?

Back
Top Bottom