1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Just a heads up. "meri cona" aka ameraucana breeders get upset when you dont spell it right. [​IMG] I dont know much about them but heres a link that migh help ya. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameraucana

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Those roos are easter eggers. Not true Ameraucana's. Ameraucana's lay blue eggs. Check out the Ameraucana Breeders Club webiste for descriptions and such.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If it came from a hatchery, it's an Easter Egger.

Araucanas don't look anything like either ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. They are rumpless and have tufts. In the US they never have beards or muffs. Ameraucanas have tails, beards and muffs.

Araucanas and ameraucanas lay blue (not green, pink or olive) eggs. Easter eggers can lay just about any egg colour.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Your birds are Easter Eggers. I'll give you a quick description [​IMG]

Araucanas - SQ have ear tufts (different from muffs) and are tail-less. Have a pea comb. Suppose to lay blue eggs. Come in certain colors. Can be cleanfaced and tailed, but that means they are NOT show quality.

Ameraucanas - SQ have muffs, and tails. Have a pea comb. Supposed to lay blue eggs. Come in certain colors.

Easter Eggers - A mutt chicken - a cross between a blue egg laying bird (Ameraucana or Araucana) and any other breed of chicken (usually a great egg layer). They usually have muffs and a tail, and usually have a pea comb. Dont come in certain colors, seeing as they are mutts. They can lay any color egg, but usually lay green, sometimes blue.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I'm an Ameraucana Breeder. I would suggest doing a search on BYC for "Ameraucana" or even me as the "Author" and you will find a ton of info already been written.

God Bless,

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Already plenty of good advice posted here - - but let me add that your roo is quite a handsome fella! Beautiful markings. [​IMG]

7. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Easter Eggers are the greatest breed of chicken in the world.

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

And, you do know both those beautiful Easter Egger birds are roosters, right? Congratulations:) I love EE's and Roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by