Are apples okay for chickens?

Ditto. We have four crabapple trees and our chickens love them! A few even perch in the trees to try to knock the apples out of it, usually results in the chicken falling out of the branches but because its such a low drop I don't worry about it. My neighbors all have trees and they dump entire buckets into our backyard, the ladies are most appreciative!

Chicken Bowling -
Wait until you have a nice array of chickens hunting and pecking. Bring out a few lawn chairs and get them oriented toward the flock. Gently roll a few apples into the midst of them, then sit down and enjoy the show!

Quote:
I've noticed this with too much of any kind of fruit. My girls have the same result with too many tomatoes.

My chickens free range and if apples fall from my tree they can eat them and do eat them. However, there other things that they eat as well in my garden (grass, bugs, lizards) so they don't ever seem to over eat on apples.

Most (if not all) of tha apple seeds pass through the chickens without ever being broken. That is one of the ways evolution has helped with the spread of apple trees. The seeds are sufficiently dense enough that animals eat the fruit, move on and when the seeds pass through the animal a seed is planted far enough away to spread the territory of the apple trees.

We always eat the apple and throw just the core to the chickens. They love it.

Most (if not all) of tha apple seeds pass through the chickens without ever being broken.  That is one of the ways evolution has helped with the spread of apple trees.  The seeds are sufficiently dense enough that animals eat the fruit, move on and when the seeds pass through the animal a seed is planted far enough away to spread the territory of the apple trees.

We always eat the apple and throw just the core to the chickens.  They love it.

Gizzards are very effective at grinding seeds to bits. This is why chicken manure is perfect for gardening -- it isn't full of weed seeds waiting to sprout. Deer and other gizzardless grazers spread apple seeds nicely, though.

My chickens love apples I never gave them the core thank god I give them cracked corn too but I now have alot of chipmunks,,,, any suggestions on the chipmunk?

Sheesh, when I was a kid we'd eat the whole apple, seeds and all, and never died of arsenic or cyanide poisoning--of course we rode out bikes without a helmet too.

Back
Top Bottom