are artisan gold turkeys broad breasted.

JonathanL23

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
a hatchery has them and says there rare. but i cant find much info on them

Twistedfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Oregon
What hatchery are they from? I'm thinking it's still a heritage breed and there are only a few broad breasted breeds

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium member
7 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
a hatchery has them and says there rare. but i cant find much info on them
From what little I can find, Artisan Gold is a brand name associated with a variety of black turkeys. They are being processed and being sold under the brand name of Artisan Gold. They are not actually saying what breed of turkey they are marketing. One reference indicates they are a hybrid turkey which I would not expect to breed true. They are not a broad breasted turkey. My best guess is it is just a marketing scam to get the highest price they can for black turkeys.

Chickerella2012

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
I got 3 artisan golds yesterday. They are marketed as rare. But truly don't seem to be. They don't breed, and must be artificially inseminated...
Fun times...lol
My heritage narragansetts don't breed as is, now this. Thought I'd post some info on them :)

R2elk

Premium member
7 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
I got 3 artisan golds yesterday. They are marketed as rare. But truly don't seem to be. They don't breed, and must be artificially inseminated...
Fun times...lol
My heritage narragansetts don't breed as is, now this. Thought I'd post some info on them :)
Heritage Narragansetts can breed naturally.

Artisan Gold is a marketing ploy to market a standard (heritage) Black turkey in a manner to attempt to increase the price.

They are not hybrids. There is nothing special about them. As a standard turkey they should be able to breed naturally.

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. Artisan Gold turkeys belong to the variety Black.

Chickerella2012

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
So...if I decide to start breeding them, what would I describe them as? Standard black turkeys? Heritage Black? Artisan Gold? This is all very complicated :/

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
What people call rare is joke these days if it's available at several hatcheries... it isn't rare. :confused:

Performance chart...

At Hoovers' their order minimum is the same as their broad breasted which is half of their heritage minimum order...

R2elk

Premium member
7 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
So...if I decide to start breeding them, what would I describe them as? Standard black turkeys? Heritage Black? Artisan Gold? This is all very complicated :/
You bought them as Artisan Blacks. If you want to call them that it is fine but they are still nothing more than a Black turkey.

When I originally looked them up, the company described them as a smaller, slower growing turkey which indicates that they are not broad breasted and are a heritage variety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom