Are cats much of a threat?

Cockam-amy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Missoula, MT
I am wondering how much I need to worry about neighbor cats as a threat to my chickens. During the day they basically free range in my vegetable garden (it's been such a cool summer I haven't gotten much out of the garden anyway) and my Great Pyrenees pretty much keeps the cats at bay. But at night we bring in the dog due to his barking habits, and I have found cat poop in the sandy areas of our yard--not by the chickens though. I was just wondering how concerned I should be.
Thanks!!

I have cats and kittens both on my place. I've seen the kittens stalking the chickens but they are not quite sure they should. They ckickens are much bigger then they are. The older cats don't even pay any attention to them.Our ducks will chase them.

Do you put your chickens up at night? I would think with the dog up and night and the chickens in a good enclosed area they should be fine.

My Neighbors young cat has been chasing my chickens. My dogs break it up and if I see the cat do it he gets yelled at and a firm no. He knows he is not supposed to touch the chickens but if he doesn't stop, I will have to "up" my correction.
I think is the one who injured my Buff Brahma Bantam Rooster. Pretty sure he jumped on him and injured the Roosters back.

The other cats could care less about the chickens.

I think you would only have to worry about young chicks but older hens should be fine. They are a little big for cats to mess with. I have wild cats always watching mine and never had an attack yet. I only let my adult hens free range though.

I have always had cats with my chickens. Like the others said, the birds are much bigger. When they do try and chase them, the squawking scares them away. Never lost one because of my cats.

i lost a chicken a couple days ago to my daughter's cat. It would appear the cat was waiting under the coop and as a chicken walked by he must have grabbed the chicken. I found the hen under the coop when it was time for them to go in.

Back
Top Bottom