Are chicken illnesses dangerous to humans?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarshallChicks, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MarshallChicks

MarshallChicks New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    We have a sick hen and my kids do not want to stop holding her. (She has always been very friendly with them and does not mind being held.) I'm just wondering if their sicknesses can be transmitted to humans or make them sick.

2. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI
    Sorry to hear about your sick chicken.

It depends on what she has.
    What are her symptoms?
    Are you treating her?

Would need more details

Thanks

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    While your birds are probably not infected with Avian Flu (H5N1 virus) that has been in the news, there are some flu strains that can be passed to humans via contact with infected birds saliva, droppings, or nasal discharges. I would discourage your kids putting their fingers in any fluids from your birds (or kissing them!) and wash their hands after holding them.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    There are a few diseases, yes, though they are usually rare for backyard chicken keepers. Avian Influenza, erypsplas (spelling?), and chlamidiosis to name a few.

On another note, holding the bird in her condition, regardless of how tame she is, is only stressing her out and weakening her immunity. She needs to be isolated in a warm room and left alone to recover. You can play soft music in the room to stimulate her if you're worried about her being lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by