Are chicken illnesses dangerous to humans?

MarshallChicks

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
We have a sick hen and my kids do not want to stop holding her. (She has always been very friendly with them and does not mind being held.) I'm just wondering if their sicknesses can be transmitted to humans or make them sick.

While your birds are probably not infected with Avian Flu (H5N1 virus) that has been in the news, there are some flu strains that can be passed to humans via contact with infected birds saliva, droppings, or nasal discharges. I would discourage your kids putting their fingers in any fluids from your birds (or kissing them!) and wash their hands after holding them.

There are a few diseases, yes, though they are usually rare for backyard chicken keepers. Avian Influenza, erypsplas (spelling?), and chlamidiosis to name a few.

On another note, holding the bird in her condition, regardless of how tame she is, is only stressing her out and weakening her immunity. She needs to be isolated in a warm room and left alone to recover. You can play soft music in the room to stimulate her if you're worried about her being lonely.

Back
Top Bottom