Are chickens in a dormant-type stage at night?

Bodhisan

Songster
Jul 11, 2020
Seattle area
I ask this because a few nights ago, two of our hens, somehow, did not make it into the coop before the auto door shut. The timer is set to shut 30 minutes after dark, and all's been well since late winter a number of months ago. I get up rather early in the morning, and when I do get up (2:30-3:30 a.m.), I always look at the coop camera to check them out on their roost. I was shocked to see only one hen out of our three, along with three young production blues, sitting on the roost. I immediately went out, and it was raining, of course. But my two hens were huddled by the door, so my first thought was that of relief in that the were safe. My second thought was that once I opened the door, they would scramble to get in.

That was not the case. They just sat there.

My layout is an 8' x 10' coop with an attached covered 8'x10' run that is predator proof, and then I've got an attached 300 sq. ft. or-so extended run that is connected by the automatic pop door. I can get into that extended run, but it's only 4' high with bird netting, and I would have to half crawl - through scat and more scat - and the entry is the opposite end of the pop door. So I took a stick and gently prodded the hen closest to the door, and she begrudgingly and slowly moved...and sat in the doorway. I prodded her again, and she stepped down into the covered run, but really blocking the door. I couldn't get the other hen to go in - I would hold the stick in front of her, but she (twice) just stepped over it, moving away from the door - and quite slowly and zombie-like.

After 20 minutes of fighting this unproductive behavior, I finally had to make the decision to close the door and leave her out. When the sun started to rise, she was okay, and after 30 minutes of them all foraging, it all seemed to be forgotten.

Anyway - if chickens are that lethargic and nonreactive at night, it would be no wonder that a predator could take advantage with such a huge toll. Any knowledge about chicken behavior at night that might be similar - or dissimilar?

Chickens can't see very well at night. Once they get set where they are at night, that's pretty much where they will be...unless prodded. Even then, they won't move much - they can't see where to move to.
Okay - that explains that, and it also, I guess, would explain why they're such easy targets for nocturnal predators.

Interesting, my ducks seem quite active at night, if I go ou, they all wake up and run about, when I get home after dark they are all inside burn out and follow me around while I a getting them ready. I would have expected chickens to do likewise.

There are many things I do for my flock that are handled ONLY at night: If I need to treat individual birds, apply leg bands, catch up the young roos for slaughter the next day, health checks, etc..... all because they are so EASY to handle at night. I haven't had to chase a chicken in years. (Well, except for that one little chick who got out of the brooder coop last month. Still had to wait until almost dark to nab him!) I wouldn't say they're "dormant" or whatever at night, they just can't see at all in the dark or very dim light. If I light up the coop to do whatever work I need to, they come to life. Most still stay on their perches, but some will move around, jump down to the floor, find a new spot to roost, and so on. (Ol' Red took that opportunity once to get a little nookie with a favorite hen who happened to jump down near his roosting corner LOL). I keep the lighting low and wear a headlamp.

If I might suggest.... if it happens again, shine a flashlight into the coop where you want them to go and be patient. They do take forever to make up their minds what to do.

I'm sure there's an element that's defensive too. That is, while they are clearly "sitting ducks" for predators, they're also hard to find or see for them. For example I've come home late to find them roosting in trees, quite hidden, unwilling to move, etc. I'm sure they smell to a nighttime predator, but there won't be movement to catch their eye at least.

Back
Top Bottom