Are chickens natural relaxers, or is it just me? Lol

kyeschicks

Serama Chicken Enthusiast
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Texas
So I haven't owned chickens since I was a teenager around 5 years ago and back then I never realized how great pets they are! Anyway, I'm finishing up my first year of college and I am stressed like there's no tomorrow. This Thanksgiving I had a 4 day weekend so I decided to build an incubator from all my chicken knowledge and it came out amazing! Of course, it's not perfect but a lot better than a $300 incubator! Last incubator I had the temp fluctuated a lot and this handmade less than $30 is a wonder. Anyway, as I was building it I was just thinking about the chickens I wanted to hatch, how cute the chick's look when newly hatched and etc... And I caught myself stress free lol I was soooo stressed out before Thanksgiving because I have 3 weeks of college left but there are nothing but exams scheduled! But when I built that incubator and started thinking how attentive chickens are the idea alone relaxed me from all stress! Anyone similar or is it just me lol unfortunately I cannot have chickens now which has bummed me out :(

Last edited:
I absolutly love doing my chicken chores. I sit out with them about an hour each day. Its soo relaxing. And keeps me from thinking about anything else. They are the perfect stress reliever!

I love my chickens! They're a great little pet. They give eggs, they compost, they take care of food waste and bugs, they have wonderful personalities. It warms my heart that more people are interested in having them.

I actually asked for some more as my 21st birthday present!

Do you mind sharing your incubator instructions?

OMG I used to spend hours outside with them lol they're great, my family thought I was crazy :lol:

I love my chickens! They're a great little pet. They give eggs, they compost, they take care of food waste and bugs, they have wonderful personalities. It warms my heart that more people are interested in having them.

I actually asked for some more as my 21st birthday present!

Do you mind sharing your incubator instructions?

I am in the process of writing that down ;) made a video of what I did and all that :p just have to edit everything and put it on the Internet! I'll let you know when I have it up! I will add a hatch rate as soon as I have my first hatch!

Quote:
I get what you mean when you say your family thought you were crazy
1f606.png
I get the same thing! :p

Last edited:
Totally agree to ALL the above. I do the same as Newtochicklets (I do too) & kconley (Pets with Benefits)
wink.png
Skitz, since you can't have chickens right now next best thing is what you're doing now. Join BYC, read & learn, plan for when you're able to have chickens. Find some chicken farm/breeder in your area, ask if you can get a "fix" on weekends doing some chores or just hanging out.

3wks of college left, think of it as 3wks then you can try out your incubator
yippiechickie.gif

Oh, no, you are not the only one. I thoroughly enjoy having chickens! I spend hours each day outside with ours. And I do mean hours! I am up nights and sleep during the morning, and spend all afternoon and evening sitting outside watching them. We also have goats, dogs, and cats, so everybody gets my time, and I love them all, but the cats and chickens are the most relaxing by far! When I am inside, I am often standing at the window watching the chickens.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd have to flip a coin to decide if cat or chickens are the best stress busters. I'm currently catless.
sad.png
, and will remain so for the time being, so the chickens win the stress buster award. My dog plays stress buster, clown, and source of moments of intense frustration in my life. Walking in the garden and seeing the plants grow, sitting in the green house are also immensely calming. Life is good.

My flock, including the youngest to the oldest, have relaxing/loafing down to a fine art. Try making some of these feed sack lounging cushions stuffed with straw and you'll see some real relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom