Are chicks supposed to act like this?

RedBreasted

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014
So I’d just recently bought TWO more Ameraucana chicks from the hatchery and I don’t know how old are they, it’s probably 1-3 days old and I’m a little concerned about their behavior. Also, for all you diehard chicken owners out there, I’m sorry I’m feeding rice to them and not the chick starter, the chick starter is at my home with the other 2 chicks and I’m at another place that don’t have the chick starter so, VERY SORRY. Here are pics of them: they’ve been sleeping awfully a lot, laying down on its belly and I’m concern they may die since this is like 2nd time I’ve bought almost a day old chick. Even if I have rice for them, can I provide some eggs? Thanks so much!!! If I make too much threads, I’m very sorry!!!

Attachments

• DDD3DFE5-5415-449F-B807-FCC48C38E747.jpeg
    DDD3DFE5-5415-449F-B807-FCC48C38E747.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 42F97C76-8F6B-4FD3-B989-14CAEB89B7CD.jpeg
    42F97C76-8F6B-4FD3-B989-14CAEB89B7CD.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 20
Rice is not a good food for chicks. Are you at a place where there are no feed stores around you at all that you can buy actual food for them?

Yes, I would offer scrambled eggs for them, that at least has some protein, but again, they need a chick starter.

That box also looks pretty small and I don't see a heat source; do you have a heat lamp on them? Is there a place in the brooder that's 95 degrees that they can go to when they need to warm up?

They will die before long on rice. Is it dry or cooked?

Scrambled eggs are much better. You need to ensure they are drinking also.

They didn't have chick feed where you got these from? Just curious, I know you already said you know it isn't a good choice. How long before you get to back to where you have the chick starter? :fl

Sleeping IS normal for new hatchlings... but they should also wake up and peck around at things on occasion.

Rice is not a good food for chicks. Are you at a place where there are no feed stores around you at all that you can buy actual food for them?

Yes, I would offer scrambled eggs for them, that at least has some protein, but again, they need a chick starter.

That box also looks pretty small and I don't see a heat source; do you have a heat lamp on them? Is there a place in the brooder that's 95 degrees that they can go to when they need to warm up?
Yes I have a heat lamp but I don’t have a thermometer. Well I guess I can go to Walmart and find some chick feeds. The rice is already cooked and steamed. Yes I am aware that raw rice has an outside that’s poison to chickens.

They will be much better off with some finely chopped cooked egg rather than rice, I would stop the rice asap. They are also going to need chick grit if they are fed anything but chick starter. I would get them on chick starter asap. Also check your temperature in that brooder box, they look like they may be too warm or too cold, it should be about 90-95 degrees the first week under the lamp and they need room to get away from the heat also. I think your box is too small to allow them to move in and out as needed, especially with the amount of space the dishes take up. Since they seem to be struggling I would also recommend that you get some electrolites in their water (sav-a-chick) amd make sure they are drinking.

I’d tried giving scrambled eggs. I don’t think they want to eat. Also on the white Ameraucana’s beak looks bloody or red. The “egg tooth” is probably coming off. I’d would be surprised if they’ve only hatched a few hours ago. I’m gonna go to Walmart and tried to find some feed ASAP, any recommendations? They are drinking regularly, it bugs me when one of them enters the dish which little chicks aren’t supposed to get wet. But their not eating regularly.

They keep laying down and sleeping. Also should I also buy a thermometer while I’m going to Walmart? Luckily Walmart is only less then a mile from where I am. I’m gonna buy a thermometer and chick starter ASAP, okay? Guys don’t get mad at me, I haven’t raised chicks for a year.

You need an appropriate chick water source that they can't fall into (they can easily drown or get chilled) or place marbles or small rocks in it to make it more shallow, it should not be tip-able. I would look for a standard waterer for chicks wherever you get the feed, they are designed for chicks. Any chick starter feed will work.
I find that often they will not willingly eat strange foods. When raised by a broody hen she tells them whats OK to eat and what's not, without that input they are sometimes reluctant. Once you get the starter sprinkling some on paper towels where they can see it may help to get them started pecking at it and eating it. But if your brooder temperature isn't right they are not going to perk up. A thermometer will help, and a bigger box. They should have more space, about 2 square feet each.
No one is mad, just trying to help you make them happy and healthy.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know/

Yes, definitely get the thermometer and the chick feed, and while you're there also buy a bigger storage tub to use as a brooder so you can create the proper heat gradient in the brooder for them.

Also, since it seems like you don't have an actual chick waterer for them, perhaps you should also pick up some marbles to put in that water dish to keep the chicks from being able to fall into it and get wet or drown.

Nobody is mad, just take this as a learning experience and going forward don't buy chicks until you are prepared and have everything you will need for them :)

You need an appropriate chick water source that they can't fall into (they can easily drown or get chilled) or place marbles or small rocks in it to make it more shallow, it should not be tip-able. I would look for a standard waterer for chicks wherever you get the feed, they are designed for chicks. Any chick starter feed will work.
I find that often they will not willingly eat strange foods. When raised by a broody hen she tells them whats OK to eat and what's not, without that input they are sometimes reluctant. Once you get the starter sprinkling some on paper towels where they can see it may help to get them started pecking at it and eating it. But if your brooder temperature isn't right they are not going to perk up. A thermometer will help, and a bigger box. They should have more space, about 2 square feet each.
No one is mad, just trying to help you make them happy and healthy.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know/
I have 3 older hens but I don’t think all 3 of them are broody. It’s there a way my buff Orpington can rear in the chicks? Anyways, I’m not taking that chance of my chicks getting killed by the older hens. If you saw my other newer thread before this one, I also have 2 more chicks. I’ve transplanted them to a bigger box. My concern is that I won’t get home until midnight tonight which I’m worry about the 2 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom