1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are crab apples safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cheri222, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    We have 2 large crab apple trees with hundreds of 1inch crab apples. Normally I throw them in the compost or the boys whip them at each other and we end up with apples everywhere. Can the chickens have them??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sure.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Our chickens will peck at them, but aren't crazy about them. Sure won't hurt them any though.
    But don't forget to keep some for making crab-apple preserves. Yummy!

4. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    As long as you haven't sprayed the trees with a lot of pesticides or fungicides, then yes! My father in law had a decorative crab apple tree which dropped thousands of small ripe fruits every fall and made a horrible mess in his lawn until his chickens gobbled them up. Only problem was some of the fruit had fermented... you can imagine the state some of those hens were in at night, staggering back to the coop!

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    People can eat crab apples, too! It makes great jelly! No pectin needed, crabapples have natural pectin! Before you could buy pectin, people used crab apples along with other fruits to make jellies b/c the crab apples would jelly the other fruit. [​IMG] So quit wasting them, let your chickies eat some, and make some jelly!

6. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Ok jelly it is, but i will save some of the apples for them. Thanks for the advice.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Won't hurt them--I have a tree near the house that they gather under as soon as they fall and gobble up what the deer don't get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by