Are Dun Chocolate silkies show quality?

Aug 7, 2020
I’m very new to showing chickens. I’be been having a lot of trouble finding a place with reasonably priced show quality Silkies near me and I found some that are all “Dun Chocolate” I don’t know much about this and was wondering if this is a recognized color that I can show. Thanks!

I’m very new to showing chickens. I’be been having a lot of trouble finding a place with reasonably priced show quality Silkies near me and I found some that are all “Dun Chocolate” I don’t know much about this and was wondering if this is a recognized color that I can show. Thanks!
they will more than likely be 'dun' silkies, and if so they will not breed true. Breeding dun to dun will give 50% dun, 25% black and 25% khaki or sport...I know of a couple people working on chocolate silkies, for $20 bucks apiece you are buying pet quality birds, possibly some breeder quality but I doubt it...you can always take dun roo over real typey black silkie hens and breed your own and improve type and quality by using top quality hens...if it is the true chocolate I dont know, only 2 or 3 breeds actually have the chocolate gene...
from this thread- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chocolate-silkies.478638/

Back
Top Bottom