Are eggs dead if hen is off nest too long and they cool?

UK Chicken rancher

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Lewiston, Idaho
My hen has been setting for 3 or 4 days and done very well but lastnight she lost her nest probably when the light went off and she ended up on another nest with no eggs.......... ;o( Her eggs were cold, but I put her back on them anyways, will they still be ok or should I swith them out for new ones? Or will she not set on them long enough if I do that? HELP! I didn't want to fence her off but I guess I will now if it's still worth her setting.

Personally I would put her in a separate brooder box with a little run - I have had other hens sneak their
eggs under the broody one (sitting on her to lay them - lol) and also I would probably candle the current
eggs in a few days to see what is developing and then if nothing happening swap for fresh fertile ones or
let her do her stuff if the eggs are developing well.

good luck

Keep em'

Every year my 4-h leader brings a couple of half-incubated eggs to crack open.Last year she had 2 left over, so she took them home, and popped them back in the bator. (they have been out for quite a while!, and were cool) Both hatched later that weak!

Actually a little time without being incubated is good for the eggs. She knows exactly what she is doing. Try not to interfier if you can. when i first hatched eggs with a hen i had to put wire over the nesting box so when she got off the eggs the other broody hens didn't steal her brood. Good luck on your hatch!!

Oh good!!!!! That is so reassuring to hear! I may block her off or just make sure to check on her when the light goes off at night in case she's off the nest and can't find her way back. The other chickens seem to be leaving her nest alone so far and no others are acting broody but I probably should take the advice of the experts this time!
tongue.png
Thanx so much to all! 4-H is AWESOME, I didn't do chickens but rabbits and horses were a blast! I can't wait until my 1 yr old is old enough for 4-H.
Guess I'll do some research on candeling so I can check them in few days. Should I see movement already or what should I look for?

So I closed her off in her own little pen and since she has done awesome, very vigilant. I candled the eggs when I put her in there and could see veins on most of them so that was encouraging but still didn't have much hope. So, I was leary to check them again but finally did a few days ago and 5 out of 7 have almost completely developed chicks inside yeah!!!! I made my husband crack the 2 others open and they had never started to develop, not even a bloody spot and they weren't rotten yet either! So we are now anxioulsy awaiting Monday or Tuesday when the 5 should start hatching!!!!!

Here are the first 4 (3 black with some white and yellow,barred rock and Australorp crosses, 1 dark brown, EE cross) that hatched. You can see some of their shells and the green egg that we were still anxiously waiting on to hatch:

31902_dscf0983.jpg

Then on day 2 or 3 I noticed that the chicks could get out of the wire dog cage I had them in so I carefully taped cardboard all around the outside to make sure they didn't get out and get pecked on by the other chickens. The next morning we went down to find Greenie had hatched yeah!The lightest one is her with the heart on her forehead:
31902_dscf1006.jpg

................But the two largest most beautiful black chicks had found the one slat that I hadn't gotten completely covered with the cardboard and had gotten out..............they didn't find there way back in and died from cold. They other chickens had not harmed them at all, just didn't have Mama for warmth. I felt so horrible and guilty............hard lesson learned. So, we drug in an old stock tank and moved Mama and remaining 3 chicks in it, no more wholes to escape. That night we went to the feed store and got 3 Ameracauna pullets and stuck them under Mama after dark, she excepted them just fine and is a great Mama to all 6 now. I was leary of doing that for the obvious disiese threat etc. but we are taking the chance and so far all is fine.
Thanx for your support thru this trying and exciting time!
Notice the chick on top of Mama's back here:
31902_dscf0998.jpg

The one on the left below is Greenie, 2 in the middle are ones we bought, one on the right is the other Ameracauna she hatched:
31902_dscf1002.jpg
31902_dscf1009.jpg
31902_dscf1010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom