Are Female Australorps and Dominiques OK to raise together in a flock?

KylePaw

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2019
I'm about to purchase some female chicks and I've decided I'd like either the Australorp or the Dominique, or both. I have experience with both breeds, and I want them due to their cold hardiness, quiet and docile nature, and because of their egg-laying production. I'm wondering if both breeds will get along together in a flock. If not, I will just purchase one breed and let it be a consistent flock, and not a mixed flock.

Figured I'd reach out here, in case anyone has experience with raising both breeds together!

Thank you all.

- Kyle

There is no reason those two breeds won't get along as well as a flock with just one of those breeds. You can have issues if they are all the same breed, that's because they all have their own personality. That's why you don't get guarantees on how they will behave, individual personalities. But as far as those two breeds getting along, their breed won't be a problem.

the breeds are both egg laying and are close to the same size. they should be fine together. it's more about the individual personality of the hen. some hens will just be mean. it's not usally because of the breed if they grew up together as chicks. obviously, if you are mixing two different flocks together and one is of silkies, the other of jersey giants, you will have some issues.
but I don't think there will be any problems with these birds, if you are raising them together as chicks.

I suspect no problems as long as you have more than one of each. Chickens can be colorist.
The only breed I would not keep with either of these is the production grade orangey Rhode Island Red - they feather pull on every other bird in the flock, including each other. My Australorp tried to kill the pair I had. Fortunately, they were rehomed with a flock that had a lot of Black Stars in it, and they were able to quash the behavior before being pushed to the point the poor half naked Australorp reached.

I've had both in my very mixed flock and neither breed was troubled or troublesome. As above, my bossy hens are the RIRs. I have enough room that there's really no conflict but, when the birds are massing at the feed trough or waterers, the RIRs make sure everyone knows they're coming through. None of my others have quite the propensity for pettiness as the Rhodies.

I really like the personalities of the RIRs, though. Curious, bold and inquisitive like no other that I've had; no skittishness in them and willing to be literally stepped on if it involves treats.

Back
Top Bottom