Are frozen peas ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by John01, Mar 4, 2008.

1. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    I've been treating my chicks every so often with frozen corn. I was wondering if frozen peas and or carrots are ok for chicks?

John

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I do frozen peas (thawed of course) and baby carrots. I checked to make sure there is nothing added like salt before I give it to them

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I am going broke buying frozen peas for my poultry-be aware! They become addicts! I felt bad for the lack of green food in winter since my chickens range the rest of the year, so I started giving them peas each morning. Of course they get gourmet scraps to, but they demand peas! I love them, so I will continue to buy them. I have to admit they are healthy iIwill be planting an acre or so of peas this Spring to indulge their habit.
    Chris F in Maine

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh goodness yes. You don't wanna get between my chickens and leftover frozen peas, believe me :eek: <g>

I only give them leftovers from meals, and any that get freezerburned, but if you want to buy them specifically for the chickens why not. They're good for the chickens, no concerns there.

Pat, whose main identifying trait as far as the chickens go is "tall ambulatory food dispenser"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by