Are Geese Underrated?

When I first started reading about Geese I was kinda surprised there are so few available breeds in the US compared to chickens. From everything I read and see it would seem Geese are on the more managable side of fowl, but all I hear is that chickens are the easiest and everyone should start with chickens first.

Having chickens for the first time I'm not sure that's true. Maybe it's my inexperience though. There are definitely easy aspects to chickens, but that can change quickly if you're unprepared for sickness, don't put in time every day.

I would say I devote a good hour a day to my chickens. I can't see leaving them untended for more than a day, though I wouldn't anyway.

That said I'll be getting the first hand knowledge with goslings in May only have some knowledge of adults.

It’s true, there does seem to be a lack of books on keeping geese! My first book on them was “Keeping Geese: Breeds and Management” by Chris Ashton. She’s British, so not all the recommendations for feed/medication are quite relevant. I love the book, though! Great info.
There’s another book by Kirsten Lie-Nielsen called “The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese.” I haven’t read it, but it looks good.
I hope you enjoy your geese! I have completely fallen in love with mine.

It’s true, there does seem to be a lack of books on keeping geese! My first book on them was “Keeping Geese: Breeds and Management” by Chris Ashton. She’s British, so not all the recommendations for feed/medication are quite relevant. I love the book, though! Great info.
There’s another book by Kirsten Lie-Nielsen called “The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese.” I haven’t read it, but it looks good.
I hope you enjoy your geese! I have completely fallen in love with mine.
Thank you, I'm sure I will! I had my eye on both of those books, and looks like they have very affordable Kindle versions I didn't see before. Yours are rather lovable ☺️

I don't know that they're underrated so much as they aren't what people are looking for the majority of the time.
They're much larger than chickens so they need more space. They're waterfowl so they can be pretty messy. They can be super noisy. They can be protective and aggressive to visitors to the home.
They only lay eggs seasonally, so far less often than chickens or even ducks do.
I have four geese and I love them to death. None of their supposed cons bother me.
I haven't read any books on geese. Just what I can find online, mostly here on BYC.

I’ve never had geese. However, I just got my catalog from Eagle Nest Poultry in Osceola, Ohio. They list the following geese types:

Gray Toulouse, Dewlap Grey Toulouse *, White China, White Embden*, Brown China *, Pilgrim*, African *. The “*” indicates “exhibition line”. They also sell ducks, turkeys, chickens, guineas, and ring neck pheasants.

Cost for Geese range between $10-25 each, depending on breed. Some can be sexed for an additional fee. They note that Pilgrim geese are in very limited quantities. They do ship, but costcwill depend on where you are located, how many and type ordered.

I don't know that they're underrated so much as they aren't what people are looking for the majority of the time.
They're much larger than chickens so they need more space. They're waterfowl so they can be pretty messy. They can be super noisy. They can be protective and aggressive to visitors to the home.
They only lay eggs seasonally, so far less often than chickens or even ducks do.
I have four geese and I love them to death. None of their supposed cons bother me.
I haven't read any books on geese. Just what I can find online, mostly here on BYC.
Points taken. You sound like a true Goose person 😉

Points taken. You sound like a true Goose person 😉
Indeed I am :love
20220203_103120.jpg
20220203_103011.jpg

I’ve never had geese. However, I just got my catalog from Eagle Nest Poultry in Osceola, Ohio. They list the following geese types:

Gray Toulouse, Dewlap Grey Toulouse *, White China, White Embden*, Brown China *, Pilgrim*, African *. The “*” indicates “exhibition line”. They also sell ducks, turkeys, chickens, guineas, and ring neck pheasants.

Cost for Geese range between $10-25 each, depending on breed. Some can be sexed for an additional fee. They note that Pilgrim geese are in very limited quantities. They do ship, but costcwill depend on where you are located, how many and type ordered.
I didn't see a website for Eagle Nest Poultry. Meyer Hatchery is also in Ohio. $10-25 is definitely on the more affordable end from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom