Are Goslings supposed to be mean?

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
So, I know geese 'can' be mean, but our baby Punter was 5 days old when we got him/her- he/she is now nearly 4 weeks old and is a Toulouse x unknown.

I was patting one of our sweet chookens, Opal, because she came over for loving - then he/she came over and chased her away even so much as grabbing her wing and ripping out a feather....

Is this normal?? How do I break it before it gets worse without making him/her worried about people?

** My first time owning a Goose/Gosling

20201117_154903.jpg
20201117_154908.jpg
20201117_154909.jpg

So, I know geese 'can' be mean, but our baby Punter was 5 days old when we got him/her- he/she is now nearly 4 weeks old and is a Toulouse x unknown.

I was patting one of our sweet chookens, Opal, because she came over for loving - then he/she came over and chased her away even so much as grabbing her wing and ripping out a feather....

Is this normal?? How do I break it before it gets worse without making him/her worried about people?

** My first time owning a Goose/Gosling

View attachment 2414246View attachment 2414247View attachment 2414248
@SchmidtChicks, that is odd, but beautiful flock!
Can you separate him?

Usually everyone is separated. This is the first time we've free ranged Chooks, Ducks, and our Gosling-

Being we are suburban we can't let them free-range often, but they all have runs big enough for space.
We have a nasty gander, and he is separated, so maybe he should just stay separated... Does he get along well with the ducks?

We have a nasty gander, and he is separated, so maybe he should just stay separated... Does he get along well with the ducks?
So far, yes. He escaped his pen while my partner was mowing and ran to our Musocvy Drake until my partner was finished.

I thought our Drake would be mean, but they've been friends through his puppy pen for the last 3 weeks so guess they've acclimatised unlike the chickens who only free-range under supervision for an hour or two every day/second day

My only goose experience is with American Buffs, and they are both girls. They are generally good-tempered BUT they seem to delight in occasionally making the runner ducks all get up and parade them across the yard. And, once in a while, they will nip at a hen but that's rare.

I've always thought it's less about being mean -- at least for my girls -- and more about explaining to the other birds that they are the queens. And, one on one, they are. But if a GROUP of chickens stands its group, those geese do an about-face and scurry off.

Maybe Punter is just trying to establish his place in the bird world. But I certainly understand your concern, and I hope it all gets worked out.

I've only raised 2 geese from babies, but my gander had a lot of aggression as a gosling. We've had him since 2 weeks old and from day one he would attack pretty much anyone except for my husband, myself and our goose. It was surprising watching a tiny little gosling lunge at creatures much bigger than him. However, I don't think his behaviour was exactly normal, and he still has some unusual behaviour as an adult. My goose never had this behaviour - the opposite actually.

I spend a lot of time amongst Canada geese, and I have noticed that even the older goslings will aggressively chase off geese who are not a part of their flock/family, which often includes tail feathers being ripped out. It's how they establish territory. This usually leads to their family honking loudly afterwards, like they're congratulating them - I think that's called a triumph ceremony. It sounds like he hasn't really interacted with the chickens before? If he doesn't view your Opal as part of his flock, I wonder if he's just doing what he thinks he's supposed to do - chase off "unwelcome" birds. I think that sometimes when we see an animal as mean, it can be a misunderstanding of their behaviour. Either way, that's concerning as he's going to be a lot bigger than poor Opal soon!

Are they eventually going to be kept together? If so, what about letting them interact through a fence so that he can come to view the chickens as his flock?

Is Punter solitary? He may be lonely if so. Geese love to be social, especially with other geese. Your birds are beautiful! Best of luck!

Sometimes some geese begin showing dominance at young age, all of mine never started the process of sorting out who’s boss until they were a year or even two years old, this year though I have two goslings that started fighting with each at times, funnily enough they’re full siblings and one of them is female but she’s usually the one who starts it. They’re crosses too “Buff X Toulouse,” maybe being crosses they can get some older wilder genes showing up in their behavior?

You’re just going to have to work a bit more with them, the more time he spends with the flock the better he will accept them as an adult. When he acts aggressive pick him up and tap his beak and say “NO,” he should get the idea eventually.

Back
Top Bottom