Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Are hens loud? Specifically the following breeds:

-Speckled Sussex
- Buff Orpington
- Red Sexlink
- Easter Egger
-Salmon Faverolle

Are any of these breeds exceptionally loud?

My salmon Fav talks to me all the time and is only loud when I'm in the coop with them. Otherwise they are all quiet
big_smile.png

Define loud.... Let's see, I have a red sex link who has never made any noise in my presence. She's also the best layer I have but not just terribly friendly. My BO loves me and she greets me at the door every morning nagging me about what kind of food I'm bringing, serving it to her fast enough and griping about the cold. The only time she's really loud is if she's laying an egg but she does a lot of talking the rest of the time. The EEs are the same way. Not quite as friendly, don't scold me as much but still lots of talking and they'll make ALL kinds of noise if they're afraid, laying eggs or interacting with the roo.

Well, it's different if they are talking around me, I just don't want them to be loud for the sake of being loud. Clucking (Like Talking) would be alright, but, I wouldn't want them to be so loud that I could hear them from inside of my house or anything.

When they sing the "egg song" do they generally do in the coop/nest box or outside/ in the run. If they ususally do it in the coop or nest box, I may be able to build the house to be more insulated and sound proof.

My big girls sing their egg song after laying as they get out of the box, and then they continue it on into the yard (pen). They seem to like to go on for a bit. If you kept them closed in the coop in the morning (which is generally when they lay), you might be able to contain the noise.

Back
Top Bottom