Are male coturnix quail less afraid than female quails?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
I have 11 female coturnix quails and they are afraid of me. However my single male quail is not afraid. Is this normal?

I have over 20 quail and at least 5 roos. My rooster Kim and my two hens Maui and Grey are some of the nicest quail I've ever raised, most of the others are not okay with being handled. I haven't noticed that one sex tends to be more skittish than the other, I think it it really just depends on the bird.

I don’t handle them to try and tame them, they don’t come in the house and they are not pets, if there’s something wrong I will catch them and doctor them if I can, I do band some at hatch and again at different times for identification for breeding or temperament issues and I’ve always had many that want to be held, show me they are friendly, I keep them in hangin cages, grow outs and breeding/laying, at head and shoulders height, I walk up slow, I talk to them while I’m there and within the first week to 10 days after every hatch I’ve had 6-8 (and more in following weeks) come to the door in the mornin I can scratch several on the chest and back, some never get close enough to socialize and I don’t force the issue.. but they are like people in a lot of respects some just want to live their life on their own terms and just be left alone.. I’m fine with that.. I hatch 45-100 usually and there’s always the first one that wants to peck my hand or jump on my hand he’s usually the biggest turtle in the pool, the dominant male, first rooster to develop (feather wise, crowing and breeding) it’s very interesting to watch and learn their behaviors, (at a face to face level) If they are on the ground I wouldn’t have that pleasure, and think about a Biggo giant walks into their aviary that’s just an intimidating event I would imagine.. that’s why they run and hide.. just my dos centavos.. y’all have a good rest of the week.. carry on

Last edited:
I don’t handle them to try and tame them, they don’t come in the house and they are not pets, if there’s something wrong I will catch them and doctor them if I can, I do band some at hatch and again at different times for identification for breeding or temperament issues and I’ve always had many that want to be held, show me they are friendly, I keep them in hangin cages, grow outs and breeding/laying, at head and shoulders height, I walk up slow, I talk to them while I’m there and within the first week to 10 days after every hatch I’ve had 6-8 (and more in following weeks) come to the door in the mornin I can scratch several on the chest and back, some never get close enough to socialize and I don’t force the issue.. but they are like people in a lot of respects some just want to live their life on their own terms and just be left alone.. I’m fine with that.. I hatch 45-100 usually and there’s always the first one that wants to peck my hand or jump on my hand he’s usually the biggest turtle in the pool, the dominant male, first rooster to develop (feather wise, crowing and breeding) it’s very interesting to watch and learn their behaviors, (at a face to face level) If they are on the ground I wouldn’t have that pleasure, and think about a Biggo giant walks into their aviary that’s just an intimidating event I would imagine.. that’s why they run and hide.. just my dos centavos.. y’all have a good rest of the week.. carry on
I wish mine would run and hide when I walk into their pen sometimes. I have to be so very, very careful about where I put my feet! I stepped on one once, and have been paranoid every since. They do not have a healthy fear of feet.

Back
Top Bottom