are my 1 month old chicks ready to be put together with my 3 month old chickens?

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I have 11 chickens, and 2 of them are 2 months younger than the rest. For one week now i have quarantined the two from the others, but also near enough so that the chickens can see the other two to try and get used to. My mom was getting fed up with me having the chicks in doors..even though i was still against putting the babies in the coop with the bigger ladies..I just had to. Its 11:30pm and I had just put the babies inside the coop with them. I am dreading for morning because i dont know what im going to see once i go check up on them in the morning. Really hoping the older chickens wont peck my babies into a blood mess.

This was my little set up during the day for the two babies.
0.jpg

That's a cute little setup! Good idea! As to your question. I suggest putting them in for an hour, monitoring them closely. Take them out if the other chicks are being really harmful, but if they're just pecking around and establishing a pecking order don't worry. Good luck

That's a cute little setup! Good idea! As to your question. I suggest putting them in for an hour, monitoring them closely. Take them out if the other chicks are being really harmful, but if they're just pecking around and establishing a pecking order don't worry. Good luck

Thanks, but whats the different between establishing the pecking order and just being harmful? There are these three specific chickens that just wont lay their beaks off the babies..esp the one WHO i think is the boss hen(golden comet who is the most aggressive), and two whom i think is the lowest from the pecking order(runt buff orpington, and an easter egger who is also extremely aggressive) and occasionally the other chickens. It really is hard for myself to deal with such bullies, and hearing the babies scream every 5 minutes. I let them out of their coop this morning and the adults just arent having any crap with the babies. I stood outside for one hour with the babies, and had a little spray bottle at hand. I sprayed which ever chicken was charging the babies, and pecking. Nothing hass changed =\

Last edited:
That's tough, nine 12 week chickens being introduced to two 4 week chickens. Honestly I think they are too small and the established flock is too large for a drop and hope intro. Your setup is good though :) I would actually block them off completely like that so the older flock can't get to them, but can see them. Leave them like that for as long as it takes for your established flock to lose some interest (3-4 days or so). Then I would do individual intros starting with the lowest member of your flock.

Establishing pecking order will be some "put in your place" type pecks. When the babies back down or run the higher ranking chicken should kinda puff up and maybe deliver one more to get her point across. If the newbie holds her ground the fight will get more deadly until one backs down. It shouldn't hurt them, just establish who is boss. She generally delivers pecks like that with her head high and a puffed up chest. The lower ranking chicken flattens, lowers her head, or does a quick run backwards - acknowledging she is boss. Watch your bigger flock and you will probably see this because it does continue even after rank is established. Especially with the lead hen - she has to remain lead!

An unacceptance into the flock will be more deadly. The stance of the hen delivering the blows won't necessarily be done with her puffed up tall "regal" posture, just a chase and attack. If the intruder backs down or runs the established hen will go after her. Or, more than one hen will be doing the attack (in a true dominance it is only one at a time - lead hen doesn't want "help" from anybody to do establish dominance, but others are allowed to help when getting rid of an intruder, low ranking especially since this is a way they can prove themselves to the lead). It's not about proving dominance - it's about getting rid of an intruder.

Watch and see what type it is :)

That's tough, nine 12 week chickens being introduced to two 4 week chickens. Honestly I think they are too small and the established flock is too large for a drop and hope intro. Your setup is good though
smile.png
I would actually block them off completely like that so the older flock can't get to them, but can see them. Leave them like that for as long as it takes for your established flock to lose some interest (3-4 days or so). Then I would do individual intros starting with the lowest member of your flock.

Establishing pecking order will be some "put in your place" type pecks. When the babies back down or run the higher ranking chicken should kinda puff up and maybe deliver one more to get her point across. If the newbie holds her ground the fight will get more deadly until one backs down. It shouldn't hurt them, just establish who is boss. She generally delivers pecks like that with her head high and a puffed up chest. The lower ranking chicken flattens, lowers her head, or does a quick run backwards - acknowledging she is boss. Watch your bigger flock and you will probably see this because it does continue even after rank is established. Especially with the lead hen - she has to remain lead!

An unacceptance into the flock will be more deadly. The stance of the hen delivering the blows won't necessarily be done with her puffed up tall "regal" posture, just a chase and attack. If the intruder backs down or runs the established hen will go after her. Or, more than one hen will be doing the attack (in a true dominance it is only one at a time - lead hen doesn't want "help" from anybody to do establish dominance, but others are allowed to help when getting rid of an intruder, low ranking especially since this is a way they can prove themselves to the lead). It's not about proving dominance - it's about getting rid of an intruder.

Watch and see what type it is
smile.png

It is both, but mostly having a "unacceptance into the flock" The lead hen who i THINK is the golden comet pecks them and chases them, The second lowest of the pecking order is the runt buff orpington, and the lowest is the easter egger. The easter egger is AGGRESSIVE..she will chase and peck the babies until they are literally crying and yelping..same with the boss hen(golden comet) So i dont see what they are trying to establish here besides the lowest of the pecking order trying to make herself up top, and the boss hen just trying to get rid of the two new babies.

I just added three hanging CDs. I watched a video where this lady said if you hang up anything shiny, itll distract the chickens from pecking. It does not seem to be working haha

Last edited:
Yeah, that's bad - the lowest isn't trying to get on top, but she is proving to the lead that she can take care of the flock and is willing to help, which is the best way for her to rise in ranks. Chasing is a bad sign and the lead/lowest combo is a bad sign. I would howdy them a little longer (a few days). Keep them within sight (preferably with only one fence between them) but completely protected. Then introduce them lowest ranking first, one at a time.

Yeah, that's bad - the lowest isn't trying to get on top, but she is proving to the lead that she can take care of the flock and is willing to help, which is the best way for her to rise in ranks. Chasing is a bad sign and the lead/lowest combo is a bad sign. I would howdy them a little longer (a few days). Keep them within sight (preferably with only one fence between them) but completely protected. Then introduce them lowest ranking first, one at a time.

Yeah...So now i placed them back in their little corner with a small opening ONLY the two babies can fit in. I know this sounds wrong, but i still dont wanna cut ALL ties with them seeing how even if i keep the babies away longer..nothings going to change. The babies will sometimes leave their little corner to venture out, but when they see a bully come running at them, theyll run straight back into their corner.

Yeah...So now i placed them back in their little corner with a small opening ONLY the two babies can fit in. I know this sounds wrong, but i still dont wanna cut ALL ties with them seeing how even if i keep the babies away longer..nothings going to change. The babies will sometimes leave their little corner to venture out, but when they see a bully come running at them, theyll run straight back into their corner.

I actually think this is a great idea, give the babies a saftey zone and will be doing something like this when I introduce my chicks to the flock

goodpost.gif

Very good idea
Yeah...So now i placed them back in their little corner with a small opening ONLY the two babies can fit in.  I know this sounds wrong, but i still dont wanna cut ALL ties with them seeing how even if i keep the babies away longer..nothings going to change.  The babies will sometimes leave their little corner to venture out, but when they see a bully come running at them, theyll run straight back into their corner.

Very good idea, not wrong at all :) Howdy means to allow the animals to see each other but not actually have access to each other. I actually built my coop with a way to add an easy howdy pen when/if needed. I think you should stick with what you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom