Are My Chickens Broody Breeds?

Sep 22, 2020
Texas United States
Ok. I have 42 chickens exact and I was wondering if they would expand their size on their own or if I need to buy more. My breeds are,
10 Easter Eggers
2 Sapphire Gems
4 Leghorns
6 Lavender Orpingtons(One rooster)
4 Speckled Sussexs
4 Buff Orpingtons( 2 roosters)
3 Barred Rocks(1 rooster)
2 Cuckoo Marans
2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
2 Silver Laced Wyandottes
1 Light Brahma
1 Dark Brahma
1 Sapphire Gem mix
I really hope these breeds are broody. Also can you give me some other broody breeds?

Ok. I have 42 chickens exact and I was wondering if they would expand their size on their own or if I need to buy more. My breeds are,
10 Easter Eggers
2 Sapphire Gems
4 Leghorns
4 Speckled Sussexs
2 Cuckoo Marans
1 Light Brahma
1 Dark Brahma
1 Sapphire Gem mix
I really hope these breeds are broody. Also can you give me some other broody breeds?
Brahmas, Orphingtons, Wyandottes, and sometimes EEs, typically go broody.

I find it depends on the individual hen. I have silkies, wyandotte, and Orpingtons go broody often, as per their type. But I've also had broody red sex links, and polish. These breeds aren't typically broody types.

Since broody pens are presumably not unlimited and a hen can sit on 10 eggs or so, why do you need so many broodies? Just a few at a time will hatch you lots of eggs. If you want production hatching, you can get a high volume incubator.

10 Easter Eggers
2 Sapphire Gems
4 Leghorns
4 Speckled Sussexs
2 Cuckoo Marans
1 Light Brahma
1 Dark Brahma
1 Sapphire Gem mix
Marans and Sussex usually go broody. I wish I had that problem of my chickens not going to broody!

Other breeds to consider...Silkies. They are ALWAYS broody. But the Orpingtons & Brahmas should have you covered!

My Sussex go broody all the time, we had a Wyandotte that was a good broody too. I have heard Orpingtons and brahmas are good too. Leghorns aren't known for being broodys but some of our leghorns are really good at it (mainly bantams, large not so much) but all can and will go broody, some breeds do it more though

I've had Marans and Wyandotte's go broody every summer. Sometimes 5 at a time and sometimes they will go broody 2 or 3 times during spring and summer. I have 3 broody right now. :th

Back
Top Bottom