Are My Chickens Going to be Happy?

jtburch

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
So I am a newbie and I want to know if this space is going to work for my coop and run. I would like to have 4 to 6 chickens for egg laying. I have a feeling I will want more but space will probably prevent that. Obviously it needs some prep work first. Everything will be removed down to the dirt. Trash cans will stay down by the gate. The upper level is 5' x 21' plus. I figuring on building a coop that is one stilts about 3' x 8' or longer, so I have enough room to get by the coop. I would like to use the whole 5' x 20' for the run. If I need more space, the yard does drop down about 8 inches where there is another 40 sq ft. The area is open on the north and south and does get sunshine throughout the day, but is is not intense due to the walls on the east and west.

The rest of the yard is pretty much pool and deck with landscaped areas around the pool and a small vegetable garden. There is another fence separating the pool area from the garage and driveway. I would love to let the chickens roam around the pool occasionally but I would hate to have one of them end up in the pool and drown, if that is a concern.

I want my girls to be happy healthy chickens and if this won't work, it will be disappointing but I would prefer a happy experience for all of us, including the chickens.

All feedback is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Coop Space.jpg
    Coop Space.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 25
So I am a newbie and I want to know if this space is going to work for my coop and run. I would like to have 4 to 6 chickens for egg laying. I have a feeling I will want more but space will probably prevent that. Obviously it needs some prep work first. Everything will be removed down to the dirt. Trash cans will stay down by the gate. The upper level is 5' x 21' plus. I figuring on building a coop that is one stilts about 3' x 8' or longer, so I have enough room to get by the coop. I would like to use the whole 5' x 20' for the run. If I need more space, the yard does drop down about 8 inches where there is another 40 sq ft. The area is open on the north and south and does get sunshine throughout the day, but is is not intense due to the walls on the east and west.

The rest of the yard is pretty much pool and deck with landscaped areas around the pool and a small vegetable garden. There is another fence separating the pool area from the garage and driveway. I would love to let the chickens roam around the pool occasionally but I would hate to have one of them end up in the pool and drown, if that is a concern.

I want my girls to be happy healthy chickens and if this won't work, it will be disappointing but I would prefer a happy experience for all of us, including the chickens.

All feedback is very much appreciated.
that seems like it would work great!! Do you think that it could be possible to have the coop be 4x8? It will be easier cutting, and will prevent squabbles, especially at roosting time. It's harder for them to interact in a narrow space, or to get away from one and other, because they have to go right past each other. That 5x20 run is PERFECT, though!! Loads of space for them, the'll love it. I wouldn't let chickens around the pool unsupervised, but I think that most chickens can swim if necessary ( @CHlCKEN ) and could stay afloat before being rescued.

I am sure that space will work out fine for what you want. It is good that you are doing the planning before getting the chickens. :clap There are some that do it the other way around which often doesn't turn out well.

I am not sure about letting the chickens around the pool. They do poop a lot! Just saying.

Good luck with your new adventure. You will have to keep us updated on how it goes.

Chickens stay away from pools and don’t really pay much attention to them, HOWEVER, there’s a chance they would try to drink the water from it (mine don’t but you can never be too sure) so watch them the first few days with access to it and make sure they don’t. If they do then you’ll need to block their access from it.
Chickens float decently and mine even was able to get herself to the other side of the pool safely when she fell in (long story involving a failed flight attempt).
I think the main reason they stay away from the pool is the concrete around it, there’s nothing to scratch on so they remain relatively uninterested.

A tiny bit narrow but certainly doable for 4-6 chickens. Normally would advise making the coop a bit wider but I realize you're working with tight space, so you'll need to design the coop with your access in mind.

Main risk with the pool is if one falls in, it may be difficult for them to get out before they drown, so best to not give them pool area access (plus do you really want poop around your pool area?)

Welcome to BYC.

Good job on planning ahead, doing your research, and not making impulse purchases. A long, narrow space could be awkward for you to work in, but it shouldn't be a problem for the chickens themselves.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a lot when considering appropriate housing.
I am in So Cal, close to the Pasadena area. So not terribly cold except maybe the nights in winter. Does get into the 100s at times during the summer

I am in So Cal, close to the Pasadena area. So not terribly cold except maybe the nights in winter. Does get into the 100s at times during the summer

In that case I strongly recommend an Open Air style design -- which would help with navigating the narrow space since you'd only need wire, a roof, and a windbreak on the end to protect the roost from winter storm winds.

In that case I strongly recommend an Open Air style design -- which would help with navigating the narrow space since you'd only need wire, a roof, and a windbreak on the end to protect the roost from winter storm winds.
So I don't need something enclosed??

Temp in my area range from lows in the 40s during winter and highs mostly in the 90s during the summer, with occasional lower lows and higher highs. Can most chickens be comfortable in those temps without an enclosed coop?

I can just use the whole area as a coop/run as long as I provide the things that the chickens will need. The roof between the house and the wall would be quite easy. Besides the obvious food and water, an area for a dust bath, roost, and nesting bins. With the later two being protected from the wind and occasional rain we get. Any recommendations or pics of what I should be using and I can separate things such as putting the covered roost area at the far end with a wind break and the nesting boxes at the other end, making it easier to collect eggs?

This is like designing a house, trying to figure out the best way to lay everything out so it is comfortable for the chickens and convenient for me.

So I don't need something enclosed??

Temp in my area range from lows in the 40s during winter and highs mostly in the 90s during the summer, with occasional lower lows and higher highs. Can most chickens be comfortable in those temps without an enclosed coop?
Lows in the 40s are perfectly comfortable for chickens. Mine don't even bother staying out of the rain at those temperatures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wet-hens.1442537/

As long as they have a dry place out of the wind that they can go to when they want to, chickens are perfectly comfortable at temperatures well below freezing. They have built-in down coats. :) It's the heat that is more of a problem for them.

Yes, it's just like that -- and convenience for yourself is important because if it's awkward and annoying to tend to the chickens it won't get done as readily.

I like the ability to access nestboxes from the outside so that I can collect eggs without getting poop on my shoes.

Back
Top Bottom