Are my chickens okay? ~PICS~

Chicken0Boy

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Upstate of South Carolina
I went down to my chicken coop today to give it a good clean out, but first a checked my birds...the first bird I checked was my roo and he had these little black dots on his comb and wattle! I checked my other birds, and only one other had them.... I am so confused. This is my first batch of chickens, so I got a few questions.
idunno.gif

1. What is this?
2. Is this bad?
3. Can it spread if so?
4. Is there anything I can do to help/get rid of it?
5. Is it deadly?
6. Do I need to isolate them from the others?

Heres the roo! I would get pics of hen but they are so small you would not be able to see them on my camera.
hmm.png
Sorry if you can't see them good.
49892_1.jpg

49892_2.jpg

49892_3.jpg

49892_4.jpg

Last edited:
No, it's not frostbite. Frostbite starts on the comb tips and moves inward.

Probably a little pecking going on in the coop, since they aren't getting out and around as much. It could be a fowl pox start, but I really don't think so. I suspect a little minor pecking is going on.

In this situation, I would check all over very carefully for lice or mites, just to be on the safe side, then watch a little more to see who's being grumpy. Careful observation is really the best tool.

Quote:
I did notice my roo pecking at the other hen...on the pic it only looks like 1 spot but there are some spots like in between the comb tips. Also, would I just find the bugs on the body or woild there be signs?

I was reading a thread recently about a fungal disease that starts as black spots on the comb. The spots then turn white. Favus is what they called it.

Quote:
lice and mites can be seen with the naked eye. I usually see mites on the head feathers, right at the base of the feather. they are tiny, so look carefully. Lice are also tiny but can also be spotted. give them a good dusting with a tick/flea/lice powder to be sure.

But I agree with the other folks. it looks like there is just some pecking going on.

Back
Top Bottom