Anyone any idea what colours they will be when they’re older? Got them online as mixed silkie eggs and don’t know what they’ll turn into?

Great! They are so cute!!!! Did you raise the humidity for lockdown? Did you keep them upright or lay them on the side? You kind of inspired me too. I got a dozen fertilized eggs from my neighbor (who has 8 roosters) and put them in my incubator last Sunday......

Great! They are so cute!!!! Did you raise the humidity for lockdown? Did you keep them upright or lay them on the side? You kind of inspired me too. I got a dozen fertilized eggs from my neighbor (who has 8 roosters) and put them in my incubator last Sunday......
Yes I raised the humidity to around 65%. Of the 7 eggs that went into lockdown I placed 3 on their sides and 4 upright. The ones I placed upright were the ones that had the most misshapen air cells because I’d read that being upright may help them. All 7 hatched perfectly fine though so I can’t say either way whether being upright or laying down was beneficial or not, certainly didn’t so them any harm😁 Best of luck with your hatch! Let me know how you get on

Great! Yes, I guess the concensus is 60-70 humidity for lockdown. Well who knows, maybe keeping those 4 upright did help them? There is no way to know for sure though.

As far as colors when adults, I've never had silkies, I wouldn't know but except they are going to be cute either way!

Great! Yes, I guess the concensus is 60-70 humidity for lockdown. Well who knows, maybe keeping those 4 upright did help them? There is no way to know for sure though.

As far as colors when adults, I've never had silkies, I wouldn't know but except they are going to be cute either way!
Yes no idea whether the humidity or egg positioning helped in anyway but 7 out of the lockdown 7 is a good result for me so must have done something right!

oh well I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what they grow up to be!😊 thanks for your help

Follow up on my batch: They were all viable when I candled up until lockdown. I did keep humidity 30-50 during incubation. I know that's a big range but with my incubator it's difficult to keep stable. My lockdown humidity, yes I kept it between 60-70. I hatched 7 of 12 eggs. They hatched as a group a day or two early. I think my thermometer on in my incubator runs low, meaning my incubator is a an actual higher temp than it is reading. The other 5 never hatched. After doing three separate batches, yes I'm convinced that my temp has been too high. I'm beginning to think temp correct is more important even than humidity issues.

The seven that did hatch are cute of course! Lots of barnyard colors!

Back
Top Bottom