I would say always put the pointy side down. I don't think that necessarily has to do with shipping. I've had fertilized eggs shipped to me and 100% grew. Eggs can live many days before incubation starts.

I would say always put the pointy side down. I don't think that necessarily has to do with shipping. I've had fertilized eggs shipped to me and 100% grew. Eggs can live many days before incubation starts.
Ok thanks. I’ve read through some old threads on here and there’s a lot of opposing opinions so a bit confusing for a first timer like myself🙃 I’ve moved the eggs to upright positions now, 7 seem to be doing well😊 I’ve read that eggs with saddled air cells are less likely to hatch, is this true? 6 of them have saddled cells but seem to be doing fine so far.

Now on this, I do not know. I see other threads on here about saddle shaped, or large air cells. I think it has to do with humidity overall? This has been a problem that I've had, hate to admit this, but when I was a first timer I had read different things (including the confusing instructions that came with my incubator) and I got my humidity way too high (70-80%) the first time and the cells were really small and the poor little birds developed so well but then at the end couldn't hatch when I did lock down. I think they suffocated. I wasn't on a cool forum like this one and didn't know what I was doing. I did open a couple to see how far they developed and they were only 1-2 days from hatching. I think the opposite can be true if humidity is too low the air cells can get too big, I saw one post talking about them possibly 'detaching' the membrane. I do not know. I would say make a decision on where you want your humidity and keep it in that range. I suspect 30-45 is a good range but others will have more educated ideas. That's where I kept my second batch, pointy sides down, and then when I did lock down I put them on their sides (just like they would lay in a nest) because I took out the automatic turning device. The second batch did great but another mistake: keep lock down on lock down until all hatch! I lost a couple that way because I did not resist temptation to remove a chick and opening during lock down is a 'no-no.' Where is your humidity range at?

Now on this, I do not know. I see other threads on here about saddle shaped, or large air cells. I think it has to do with humidity overall? This has been a problem that I've had, hate to admit this, but when I was a first timer I had read different things (including the confusing instructions that came with my incubator) and I got my humidity way too high (70-80%) the first time and the cells were really small and the poor little birds developed so well but then at the end couldn't hatch when I did lock down. I think they suffocated. I wasn't on a cool forum like this one and didn't know what I was doing. I did open a couple to see how far they developed and they were only 1-2 days from hatching. I think the opposite can be true if humidity is too low the air cells can get too big, I saw one post talking about them possibly 'detaching' the membrane. I do not know. I would say make a decision on where you want your humidity and keep it in that range. I suspect 30-45 is a good range but others will have more educated ideas. That's where I kept my second batch, pointy sides down, and then when I did lock down I put them on their sides (just like they would lay in a nest) because I took out the automatic turning device. The second batch did great but another mistake: keep lock down on lock down until all hatch! I lost a couple that way because I did not resist temptation to remove a chick and opening during lock down is a 'no-no.' Where is your humidity range at?
There’s so much information and opinions that I’m not sure what is best! The humidity is around 40-45, I’ve read that I should raise humidity for last few days? I’m not sure what to do about positioning for hatching now, it’s lockdown day tomorrow and I moved them to upright position yesterday as I read that it’s better for hatching but now I’m wondering if I should lay them back on their sides for lockdown?

Yes, there are so many opinions. I don't know what I would say. On the humidity I would be inclined just to keep it the same range and on the positioning, I would say laying down on the side because that's how they hatch naturally but that too I guess is an opinion. When chicks hatch on the side they and kind of roll around in the shell and turn over more easily. When they pip they make the ring that goes around the egg and it just seems like sitting down is more natural. Well, that's exciting, good luck! You're going to be a new parent!

Last edited:
Yes, there are so many opinions. I don't know what I would say. On the humidity I would be inclined just to keep it the same range and on the positioning, I would say laying down on the side because that's how they hatch naturally but that too I guess is an opinion. When chicks hatch on the side they and kind of roll around in the shell and turn over more easily. When they pip they make the ring that goes around the egg and it just seems like sitting down is more natural. Well, that's exciting, good luck! You're going to be a new parent!
Ok thanks for your advice, got some decisions to make before lockdown then, fingers crossed Get some chicks!

Attachments

• E6BF9BC6-AB03-4966-A52F-F8908600DA88.jpeg
    E6BF9BC6-AB03-4966-A52F-F8908600DA88.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DB5BB558-F8BD-44C3-B098-9BDDF53BE90C.jpeg
    DB5BB558-F8BD-44C3-B098-9BDDF53BE90C.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 1
  • AE2F1939-F9AE-48FA-B269-A8C7ED5D8A46.jpeg
    AE2F1939-F9AE-48FA-B269-A8C7ED5D8A46.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 77DE29C5-FD6C-4379-B0B9-6497ADB8889C.jpeg
    77DE29C5-FD6C-4379-B0B9-6497ADB8889C.jpeg