Are my hens becoming nervous because of this... or is it just me?

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So just last Saturday, and today (11/5/11 and 11/6/11) I got rid of my Rhode Island Red Rooster, and my two Silkie Roosters. Now what I am telling you may just be me, missing my three boys, but I don't think so. I had to get rid of all of my Roosters, because of chicken laws... Normally when I open the coop door they all come running out, my Rhode Island, then my two Silkie Roosters, followed by my hens, according to their peaking order. I just got rid of my Rhode Island Red Rooster yesterday. I noticed that later in the day when I let them out they seamed sorta lost. When my Rhode Island Rooster was present I always remember them staying in a pretty close flock. Now they all sorta went where ever they wanted to. Then today I gave my two Silkie Roosters to someone. After that I noticed that when I let them out, only one came out, sorta slowly though. She seamed very different. She fluttered about. She didn't seam herself. I'm not sure if they didn't feel like coming out later in the day... but I never remember having that problem when they had the RIR Rooster. Are they nervous about chickens disappearing? Or is it just me? Are they lost without the rooster? All of my chickens have been together since they were 1 week old, some longer. They are almost 18 weeks old now.

I do believe they may be affected a little bit, maybe missing the leadership of your roosters, but they will adjust. They will just work out a pecking order amongst themselves.

They'll be just fine in a while.

When I got rid of my roo, it took my girls 4 days to decide it was a 'good' thing.. They would not come out of the coop at first. They would stay on the roost until I removed them...I started to use a little treats... One of my Buff Orpington Hens took over as "Boss" and they have been just fine for almost 2yrs now...

Back
Top Bottom