Are my hens really "Ameraucana's"

I was just giving you my 2 cents.
I don't claim to know much but I too got all excited about Am's only to find out they were EE's.

The internet is full of experts, liars and just plain dummies.
Ameraucana come in only a few very distinctive color varieties. All have slate legs. It can help to familiarize yourself with the breed so you can avoid being fooled. Easter eggers almost always have green legs.

one of my back ameraucana cockerel

a black hen with blue chick

blue ameraucana hen

and this hen is splash (which is a result of breeding blue to blue) has a beard and muffs, and slate legs, however she is an EE. I know this for fact because I bred her blue ameraucana mother with a blue copper marans rooster to create olive eggers. These are all my own birds.

Last edited:
That's what full disclosure or at least finding someone who seems trustworthy is the best source. Your rooster is gorgeous.

That's what full disclosure or at least finding someone who seems trustworthy is the best source. Your rooster is gorgeous.

Thank you. When I cross breed with blues and black I make sure the chicks are marked, usually by leg bands, so I know who is who. Unless they come out with a straight comb they can easily be sold as true ameraucana. The wheatens which I don't have a pic of on my phone are a little different. The roosters differ in looks greatly from the hens, but does have the same outcome if bred to wheaten marans, most times they will have beards, muffs, and slate legs as well but like my splash above will lay a dark olive egg which is a dead giveaway if hens...lol.. Many buyers are simply unaware I believe, and others are aware but continue the trend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom