Are my hens really "Ameraucana's"

Due to the nature of the black/blue/splash genetics, they're considered true when you get any of those colors. The key is not so much that you get the same color (blue), but that you have predictable results (so many blue, so many black, etc). That's what it means to be genetically pure, consistent predictable results when breeding like to like.

I had to go look. Looks like you are getting the real McCoy, though she will be hatchery quality.

Ideal is selling EE, plain and simple. That being said, I love EE. Ordered 3 to increase my blue egg gene pool. I hatched a self blue and a blue Am last spring, nice friendly birds, especially the self blue. She's currently my favorite bird due to personality. Lays a lovely blue egg. Have quite a few BSL bred from EE that lay beautiful green/aqua/olive colored eggs.

I am hoping she is a she mostly! I do worry with a small order, and my 8 and 10 year old girls already naming them that we get to keep them all.... This is my first flock, getting an easter egger in the batch as well, and a Barred Rock, a brown leghorn, golden laced wyandotte, a golden buff (sex link) an a Meyer meal maker. I have changed/ added deleted my order a couple of times I am leaving it alone now as the selection is getting less and less as we get near spring. I figure I will have my hands full with this group:)

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.

I am hoping she is a she mostly! I do worry with a small order, and my 8 and 10 year old girls already naming them that we get to keep them all.... This is my first flock, getting an easter egger in the batch as well, and a Barred Rock, a brown leghorn, golden laced wyandotte, a golden buff (sex link) an a Meyer meal maker. I have changed/ added deleted my order a couple of times I am leaving it alone now as the selection is getting less and less as we get near spring. I figure I will have my hands full with this group:)

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.
That's a nice selection of breeds.
smile.png

I like the Meyer meal maker, it's a great idea.
highfive.gif

Looking for some advice - these birds were listed as Ameraucanas but I'm not sure - they are all laying blue eggs, they have muffs/beards but not very pronounced and not sure what color rooster is

Looking for some advice - these birds were listed as Ameraucanas but I'm not sure - they are all laying blue eggs, they have muffs/beards but not very pronounced and not sure what color rooster is
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Those are Easter Eggers....

It's possible the person you got them from didn't know the difference, as they were probably sold as Ameraucana to them... Even from the feed store and many hatcheries. The feed stores themselves often don't know the difference. And the hatcheries often claim these ARE Ameraucana that just don't fit the SOP (standard of perfection), or rather aren't "show quality".

True breeders of Ameraucana will ALWAYS know what specific color they are breeding.... black, blue, wheaton, silver rudd, self blue (not APA recognized)... you get the idea.

I enjoy the real Ameraucana... but I will always have a couple of EE in my flock. They are fun birds and no two look exactly the same is a bonus for me as I like the array of eye candy on pasture.
smile.png

There are a couple of different viewpoints taken from the same history of the breed. It's a fascinating read and I came out of it much less convinced that hatcheries have anything to apologize for.

One thing I have noticed, whenever this question is asked people almost always say they are easter eggers, as if there was no doubt whatsoever and all Ameraucana's are imposters. Not everyone, but a lot of people it seems.

Gary
Usually, if you have to ask if they are Ameraucana, the birds are probably going to be Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom