Are my muscovy duck hens really muscovy duck hens?

Gorgeous Muscovy! Lucky you!
big_smile.png

I am going to guess that they are mules. If you look at their bills, they look too short to be muscovy. And the heads look a lot smaller than they should. Do the feathers on the top of their head stand up when they get excited?
Also, their bodies look wrong. Their tails are too small and pointy. The pure muscovies I've seen and raised all have large, wide tails, and very long, slender bodies.

I am going to say that you have mules. They do both look like hens though.

Thanks for all of the replies, y'all! Leary crow- the picture may not be the best angle. I went out today to compare bill sizes and these two have bills about the same size as my youngest ducks that I know are muscovy ... also, they do lift feathers on top of their heads to fuss at the other animals. I've done a little more research and I think I have determined that they are either pure or hinnies. They are much too small to be mules, smaller than any of my other females although, to be fair, I am pretty confident they are also younger. I am beginning to believe that they are pure muscovy. My plan now is to let them try to hatch a clutch of eggs (will probably have to wait until next spring). That should settle the question in my mind.
smile.png
I will try to post something after the experiment!
smile.png

Thanks again!!

Quote:
What do you mean "nothing like regular ducks" how are they different? I mean I know how, but all ducks personalites are different right? Im sorry I dont mean to be rude but I dont see how they are more speical they other ducks?

This is true, it is very hard when it comes to looking at pictures. The bills just looked short to me, but it could most certainly be the angle of the picture.
And if they are younger, they are probably still growing
smile.png

That would be the way to find out though. Hatch some of their eggs and see if you get fertile eggs from the offspring! I know it's a ways away, but be sure to inform us of how it works!

Quote:
What do you mean "nothing like regular ducks" how are they different? I mean I know how, but all ducks personalites are different right? Im sorry I dont mean to be rude but I dont see how they are more speical they other ducks?

Muscovys are MUCH MUCH more personable to me then a regular duck... They make different noises, wag their tails constantly, become very friendly, mine fly to me, and to me are much calmer birds.

Quote:

Muscovys are MUCH MUCH more personable to me then a regular duck... They make different noises, wag their tails constantly, become very friendly, mine fly to me, and to me are much calmer birds.

oh, well other ducks can be just as nice if you spend time them right?

Back
Top Bottom