Are my nipples hanging too high?

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
Had to laugh at the title of my post.

But in all seriousness- I have set up an nipple watering system and to accommodate them where I wanted them in the coop, the tips of the nipples ended up being 19" off the ground. I know others have said that it depends on the chicken, but I don't have adult chickens to compare this to. My babies are a RIR, Delaware and Gold Comet. What I would like to know, from those that already have a nipple system, is if this will be too tall for my birds when they reach maturity (until then I can improvise by putting something under it for them to stand on. I'm about to finalize the set-up and don't want to have to tear it down later. I searched the forum and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this question, thus my new post.

I appreciate any insight.

lau.gif
gig.gif

Only when you throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier..................

I haven't used that kind of system, but I would watch to see if they use them and if they can't reach maybe put a block underneath until they finish growing out.

pips&peeps :

Only when you throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier..................

I haven't used that kind of system, but I would watch to see if they use them and if they can't reach maybe put a block underneath until they finish growing out.

Or tie them in a knot or tie them in a bow,..

Our were at 16" but we had to lower them to about 12" ,. that seemed to be what was best for everyone. We did had a regular chicken waterer until they all were all drinking easily from the lowered nipples. Now it's a gone pecan and I'll never go back. Love the nipples!​

pips&peeps :

That is what my great aunt used to say!

What I can remember a friend of mine had that set up and she had it at 14 inches tall for LF.​

If you are worried that the little ones can't reach the water you can put a cement block under for them to hop up on.

(and I think you can have surgery for the nipple problem
lol.png
)

We have a small layer barn with 200' of nipple watering lines. The manufacturer's recommendation is that the birds stretch their necks a bit and peck upward at the nipples at about a 60 to 70 degree angle. For our red sex-links that puts the nipples about 24 inches high.

They should reach up and peck the nipples so the water goes down their beaks. If the nipples are at eye level and they are triggering the nipples from the side instead of underneath, then more water goes on the ground than they are drinking, making for rather wet conditions in the coop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom